Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Deals getting to a wedding in Negril? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/deals-getting-to-a-wedding-in-negril-376072/)

dancer0707 Nov 13th, 2003 12:34 PM

Deals getting to a wedding in Negril?

Hello, quite a few members of my family have been invited to a wedding at Point Village in early June. The travel agents haven't come up with any packages close to our budget. We would like to stay at Point Village, but if you have any other ideas, I'd appreciate them. We are coming from Phila. and Charlotte, NC. Thank you.

cartera45 Nov 14th, 2003 09:34 PM

The resorts close to Point village are the big AIs and they will all be expensive. You will find much better deals and a much better beach than Point Village down the beach towards Negril. You may have to take a cab to Point village - but cabs are cheap in Negril. Is it too late for them to mve the wedding down the beach to Charela or Idle Awhile? Go to www.negril.com, click on "where to stay" and then on "white sandy beach" and then look at the places near the top of the map towards Couples - that is in the direction of Point Village. There are so many good places to pick from. Don't waste your money on All inclusive - there are too many good and cheap restaurants and bars all along the beach to settle for the mediocre food at the AIs. You can also post on www.negril.com and explain your situation. Some of the owners and managers of the resorts post there and they may be able to offer you a good deal for a number of people. I got a really good package to Coco LaPalm through www.escapetoeden.com Get the number from the website and call them.

liza Nov 15th, 2003 09:43 AM

Philly and Charlotte both have direct flights on USAir so I'd check there...but hteir fares don't usually go on sale for June until Feb or later.

Tons of hotels in Negril, from $20 a night to $1,000 a night....what's the budget? Do you require AC, TV, being on the beach or cliffs, a suite or just regular room, how many, etc?

dancer0707 Nov 17th, 2003 11:56 AM

Thank you for your replies. Charela and Idle Awhile both look nice. Any comments on bathrooms, comfortable beds, etc. for these places would be appreciated. Thanks again.

liza Nov 17th, 2003 01:38 PM

I have heard nothing but rave reviews of Idle Awhile - if you post your query at jamaicans.com in the Westside Wanderings section ofthe bulletin board, you'll get answers to your specific questions.

Charela is nice too, somewhat larger proeprty and a little less unique I'm told, more Americanized in decor and feel.

Both are on great stretches of beach - Charela and Coco La Palm are next door, Idle a little further up towards Point Village.

Here's a map of hotels that might help you: http://www.alink.com/personal/liz/negril/negrilmap.htm - Point Village is near the top.

cartera45 Nov 17th, 2003 05:48 PM

Actually, Idle Awhile is in between Coco LaPalm and Charela but makes not difference - only talking a few hundred yards.

andreaac Nov 18th, 2003 08:33 AM

I have to disagree with the comment stating that Charela is not unique. I find many of the Negril properties unique in their own right. For the price, Charela can't be beat! The property is small and very lush/well landscaped.

Charela boasts repeat guests since it has the distinction of satisfying it's guests always. Haven't heard anyone complain about it. I like the resort since they are consistently good.

cartera45 Nov 20th, 2003 02:31 PM

Charela has about 50 rooms and Idle Awhile has less than 15. Charela is more family oriented. Idle Awhile considered to be more chic and I think the decor has more of an island feel - haven't stayed there but toured it. It is owned by the wife of Lee Issa - who owned Swept Away and is now chairman of Couples resorts so you have priveleges at the Swept Away sports complex - not too far from Point Village.

liza Nov 21st, 2003 08:54 AM

How many rooms does Coco La Palm have, anyone know?

(Re: Charela, I made that comment because a friend that travels to JA a couple of times a year felt that way about it and he's stayed at several different spots on the beach and the ones we've both stayed at, we agree on....your mileage will of course vary :))

I'd probably pick Idle Awhile but I have a preference for very small resorts, I think the service is better and the lack of lots of people around is a plus. But again, that's me...