Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Day Trips from St. Martin (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/day-trips-from-st-martin-640731/)

escape_the_rain Aug 21st, 2006 08:36 AM

Day Trips from St. Martin

Hi! We're going to St. Martin in Feb, 07. We were going to split the trip between St. Martin and Anguilla, but that seems like too much work! Instead we're up for some day trips. We plan to go to Anguilla for the day, and potentially one other spot.

So, two questions -- where to spend the day in Anguilla - ie. what is the most beautiful beach? and second, any recommendations for other day trips out of SXM?

Thanks!!

sharkdiver49 Aug 21st, 2006 08:50 AM

You must go to Saba!

http://www.sabatourism.com/

It's about 35 miles from St. Martin. There are no beaches but it's unlike too many other Islands. A memory you will treasure and if you are sa diver it's a must!!!

Cheers,

SD

A_Traveller Aug 21st, 2006 09:00 AM

When you get to Anguilla take a cab to Shoal Bay (East). It's one of the best on the island and it has a good snorkeling reef abot a 100' off-shore. You'll also find several places on the beach where you can get lunch or drinks. You can also rent lounge chairs, umbrellas and snorkel equipment.

From SXM you can also take a day trip to St. Barth's by either ferry (be warned the passage can be a bit rough) or by plane for some very sophisticated shopping, excellent French restaurants, good beaches and lots of watersports.

From SXM you can also take day sails to nearby Prickly Pear Island (on the far side of Anguilla) for snorkeling and a beach Bar-B-Que or Tintamarre Island for swimming and mud-baths (warning a lot of clothing optional tourists visit this island. Another suggestion is to take a water taxi to Pinel island for a day of snorkeling and lunch on the beach.

You can reach St. Kitts by airplane (check www.fly-winair.com for schedules and fares) but you may find cost vs. time on island to be more than you want to do.

raccoon Aug 21st, 2006 09:35 AM

I second Pinel island. it's only about 5 min. boat ride from st. martin. the beach is small but the water is very calm, and the view is nice. Depending on the day, it's not at all crowded. when we visited the island from sxm a few weeks ago, there were only about 10 people at Pinel.
I also second Anguilla. I recommend Shoal Bay east. It's a long stretch of beach, and it's spectacular. we were there around thanks giving and there was hardly anyone there. We pretty much had the entire beach to ourselves . Have lunch at GWEN's and take a nap on their hammocks afterwards. It's lovely.

escape_the_rain Aug 21st, 2006 09:55 AM

Thank you so much!!! These are great ideas! Now I feel better about making SXM our home base and planning a few day trips around it. Thanks again!

Statia Aug 21st, 2006 01:57 PM

I also highly advise Saba. I travel there often for R&R as it's only a 10-minute flight for me. I actually just returned two hours ago from a relaxing weekend there. I take virtually everyone who visits me there for a daytrip and tour and can suggest a wonderful guide for the day if you are interested. Saba is truly the most unique island in the entire Caribbean.

This weekend, as always, we felt like we were spending time in the mountains rather than the Caribbean...sitting in the clouds on our terrace, temps cool enough to feel like natural air conditioning in August, friendly people, charming villages, tiny roads with hairpin, cliff hanging curves, Hansel & Gretel style Saban cottages galore, unique history, etc. It's truly one of a kind. :)

Statia Aug 21st, 2006 01:59 PM

I forgot to add that I second (or third) Shoal Bay East on Anguilla. Beautiful, calm water and sand like talcum powder. :)

beachgirl86 Aug 21st, 2006 02:17 PM

I agree with the recommendations of Shoal Bay East on Anguilla...it is easily the most beautiful beach I have ever seen!