Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Day trip Tortola, Virgin Gorda, or Jost Van Dyke??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/day-trip-tortola-virgin-gorda-or-jost-van-dyke-98332/)

Sarah Jan 3rd, 2001 07:06 AM

Day trip Tortola, Virgin Gorda, or Jost Van Dyke???

Besides going to St. John, which other day trip would you take from STT? Suggestions on what to do there. <BR>

Abby Jan 3rd, 2001 08:14 AM

Hi, <BR> <BR>I would take the ferry from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda, then grab a taxi to the Baths. I would spend the day snorkelling around the Baths, checking out the shallow pools of water and exploring the rock formations. Then I would get lunch at Top of the Baths, a bar and restaurant with an awesome view, and a pool to lounge in! Then stop at Mad Dog's bar for a tropical drink, and head back to St. Thomas. <BR> <BR>By the way, one of my favorite things in St. Thomas was the chocolate souffle at Hotel 1829!!!

Abby Jan 3rd, 2001 08:20 AM

Hi again, <BR> <BR>Oops, just reread your post, and realized that to go from St. Thomas all the way to Virgin Gorda might be a long ferry ride (or possibly two, stopping in Road Town on Tortola)...still I think the Baths were one of my favorite part of The BVI's, but certainly there are closer beaches on Tortola. :)

Jane Jan 3rd, 2001 09:39 AM

I agree that the Baths at Virgin Gorda are really cool for snorkelers. You might also try Jost Van Dyke. It's a laid-back, small population place. There's a small resort there where you can eat and play games with other people on the veranda. Snorkeling is good and VERY private! There were 3 of us on the day we went. Enjoy! Jane

kara Jan 3rd, 2001 12:14 PM

Hi, I have stayed on all three islands and I would recommend a trip to Virgin Gorda and a taxi to the Baths, eat at Top of the Baths/Mad Dogs just like the other poster suggested. It is a long Ferry Ride that I believe requires a quick stop in Tortola (Must bring Passport or Birth Certificate). Plus the Ferry operates out of Red Hook I believe which is on the eastern side of the island (might be an expensive taxi ride from your hotel). Best thing would be to take a tour company right out of ST. Thomas that goes directly to the Baths. Probably cheaper and more direct. If you want to get to Tortolla, that will shorten your trip by a bit but to get to any of the nice Tortola beaches from the Ferry landing is a taxi fare. I love Cane Garden Bay on Tortolla. Jost Van Dyke is nice and is also very close to St. Thomas so that might be the cheapest. Check the ferry schedule though since the ferries don't run every day to every island. Good Luck.

Sarah Jan 3rd, 2001 12:42 PM

Thanks Abby, Jane, and Kara.. <BR> <BR>Sounds like we will do the baths on Virgin Gorda like you all sugested! Our hotel is close to Red Hook and I think there is a ferry twice a day, so we will plan to spend the most of the day there!

Karen Jan 3rd, 2001 03:48 PM

Go to www.st-thomas.com/week/ferry for the schedules for the ferries. You will see that the days vary for the destinations. And be sure to take your passport! Jost is a lovely island too ... very quiet and a boater's heaven. You can stop by the infamous Foxy's and enjoy the absolutely glorious Great Harbour or White Bay!