Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Day trip to Virgin Gorda from Tortola (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/day-trip-to-virgin-gorda-from-tortola-799505/)

belarus70 Aug 5th, 2009 01:15 PM

Day trip to Virgin Gorda from Tortola

We would like to take a day trip by ferry during our September visit. How far are the baths from the ferry dock? What is the best way to get there once we arrive? Since we will only be there for the day should we limit ourselves to that area or go exploring? What would be the best way to explore the island? We love to snorkel and would be happy on the beach but would hate to "miss" the rest of the island due to time limitation. Any suggestions appreciated.

greenie Aug 5th, 2009 02:29 PM

skip the baths and go to spring bay, less crowded and no entry fee. Also, check out savannah bay. Great snorkeling from shore.

Peace, Greenie

tejana Aug 5th, 2009 07:14 PM

Sorry, greenie, but no one should skip the Baths. Amazing, and tons of fun no matter when you go. If you take the ferry, you will have to cab or shuttle it - I think it is a good 10 minutes, maybe more like 15 (only went once by shuttle because the waves at the Baths were so high that you couldn't come in by boat). You might also think about getting a boat trip that goes straight to the Baths - most of them also stop by Norman Island for a snorkel in the caves and a visit to the Willie T.

mnag Aug 6th, 2009 05:31 AM

On our day trip from Tortola to VG we took a quick cab ride from the ferry to the Baths. Once there we explored the Baths. When we came back up we ate at the restaurant and then walked over to Spring Bay (through the guavaberry complex). It was a great day. We were so charmed that on the next trip we made VG our base.

beagles Aug 6th, 2009 05:59 AM

I agree, don't skip the Baths. It was great fun finding our way through the boulders and coming out the other side to a nice beach. I advise not carrying a lot of stuff because you have to crawl through some spots that may have a little water in them. I don't know what the snorkeling is like there because we were there during the winter swells and the beach was closed for swimming but we still had a ton of fun. We took a ferry from Tortola and then a short taxi ride to the Baths.

beach08 Aug 6th, 2009 11:45 AM

The Baths are an amazing site and the trek to get to them is an adventure! We rented a vehicle at the dock for the day so that we could see the rest of the island. Very lovely!!!

ejcrowe Aug 6th, 2009 06:32 PM

well, I actually agree with Greenie. Although you can't do "the crawl" there, Spring Bay has all of the picturesque boulders and grottos and beautiful beach that The Baths has, but with fewer crowds and no admission fee. If you want to be with the crowds, though, the Baths should be just what you're looking for.

If you feel that you won't have seen Virgin Gorda without stopping at the Baths, by all means, do so. But if you want to skip the crowds, go straight for Spring Bay. Savannah Bay is a nice counterpoint to Spring Bay -- long stretch of sand, pretty isolated, and not many people. You could spend the morning in one spot and the afternoon in the other.