Day trip to the BVI's from St. Thomas

Jun 25th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Day trip to the BVI's from St. Thomas

My husband and I are staying at the Ritz in St. Thomas for Labor day and would like to go to the BVI's for a day trip. Are we better off booking a sail through the hotel itself or taking the ferry from Red hook??
Advice?
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:36 AM
cdt

Sailboat trips from St. Thomas generally do not go to the BVI, with the exception of a few to Jost van Dyke.

You can take powerboat trips to The Baths (Virgin Gorda) and other BVI locations. These can probably be booked through the Ritz, or directly with the tour operator.

If you took the ferry from St. Thomas to Tortola it might be difficult to get there early enough to connect with a Tortola-based daysail. Might also be tough to get back that day. Most daysails won't leave from the same place the ferry arrives.

The ferry might work if you wanted to do a land tour of Tortola - we did this with a rented car. There is a ferry from St. Thomas to Gorda two days a week; on other days, you need to do some circuitous connecting in Tortola.

Jun 25th, 2003, 09:41 AM

A fun and easy BVI trip is to White Bay on Jost van Dyke. There's a gorgeous beach and a neat beach bar, the Soggy Dollar. You can snorkel on the way at a little island close to JvD. The hotel can likely arrange it.

Haven't made it to the Baths yet -- but I've heard it's a good idea to try to be there when there are no cruise ships around.

Jun 25th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Since you are staying at the Ritz, they offer a lovely day sail on their cat to Jost which is a wonderful destination and a great sail. There are other charters who also offer sails to other destinations and to Jost and the power boats that go to Virgin Gorda (the Baths) and some of the more distant islands where the winds wouldn't help you doing it in one day. On Saturday, I believe it is, one of the ferry services offers a trip with the morning on Tortola and the afternoon on Virgin Gorda. May be Smiths. New Horizons offers a power boat with 4 stops from Virgin Gorda to Jost but leaves very little time for limin' and enjoying imo. If you hit the Baths on the busy cruise ship day, just hike over (not an easy hike but not long) to Devil's Bay - same scenery and more pristine so far.
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:01 AM

Ferry companies operating between St.Thomas and the BVI's (Tortola and Virgin Gorda) are either SMITH or SPEEDY's.Check the ferry schedule at the BVI's offical website, www.bviwelcome.com . I would plan a day trip to THE BATH on Virgin Gorda, bring your snorkel gear with you, have lunch at THE TOP OF THE BATH - you'll have a wonderfull day there!
Regine
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:41 AM

We done the trip to the baths twice and both times we used the Charter Boat Center (800) 866-5714. Their boats the Stormy Petrel & Pirates Penny are excellent. We alwasy request that Andy & Lisa be our crew or that are on their boat. They are great captains & hosts. Hope this helps, Mike
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! That is why I love this site!!! I will look into one of those sail charters or go through the ritz itself. I was afraid the Ritz would be ridiculously expensive beacuse that's the ritz for you. Now I have a few choices.
Jun 29th, 2003, 03:25 AM

Check out Captain Nautica at www.captain nautica.com for a great day trip to the Baths and the Indians with lunch on Tortola. Although my preference is sailing, you can't do that in a day and I've taken visiting friends and family on this trip which is truly enjoyable. One of the best things about it IMHO is that they carry max 18 passengers and, most of the times I've gone, there have been 8-12 people which makes for more interraction with friendly strangers than you get on one of the larger vessels. Enjoy!
Jun 29th, 2003, 11:03 AM

A trip on the Cap't Nautica would be a bit different than the "luxury" of a private sail (limited to 6 passengers) or even one of the charter boats (which may have many more passengers - 18, if my recall is correct on some and, up to 40 on some of the New Horizons trips. They may have coupons available for discounts as they can be found on island). Cap't Nautica is an inflatable raft of sorts (to put it in non-boating terms) with a hard bottom. It is more of a party-type excursion that many enjoy without the facilities (a head for one).