Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Day Trip to Anguilla from SXM: where to keep our stuff safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In June, we'll be taking a day grip to Anguilla via ferry from Marigot. We'd love to hire a driver or taxi to take us to a few beaches, since we've heard they are absolutely amazing and not to be missed. Perhaps we'll snorkel off the beach, not sure about that yet. But since we have to go through customs, bringing along our passports, and since we want to bring our camera, what do we do with our stuff while we're in the water? I don't want to leave it to chance that belongings that important will be safe if left unattended. Are there lockers or even a hotel that we can pay a fee to so our stuff will be okay? Someone must've encountered this question on their travels. Help, please!

Thanks,

Annie
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Bring only essentials (one credit card, your passports and a little money) - purchase a small waterproof pouch that you wear around your neck while swimming (available at sporting goods stores, dive shops and on-line) and take along an inexpensive throw away camera (they have ones that are waterproof so you can take photos while snorkeling.

DO NOT leave your valuables unattended. Some people take the chance and end up OK. Other will suggest you ask someone to watch your valuable while you are swimming BUT the thing is are you willing to trust your valuable to a stranger. Just because there are palm trees, white sand beaches and turquoise waters doesn't mean you should leave your common sense at home. While most people are honest you can't tell just by looking at them - the tourist sitting near you on the beach can be a thief just as easily as the person hiding behind the mask. The point is you never know who is lurking about - better to be safe than sorry.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, RoamsAbout, that's why I asked. Do you have a specific brand waterproof pouch that you use for this purpose, that you could recommend?
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 11:59 AM

I use Aquapac but you'll find the different brands are pretty much the same. They come in all different shapes and sizes depending on what you want to carry. Do a google search for "Waterproof pouches" or go to the Aquapac website for details. You'll understand once you see a photo of one.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

I checked out Aquapac, RoamsAround, but they didn't seem to have a small pack for passports, just one that seemed much larger, for maps. Guess I'll start googling, but at least you got me started in the right direction. Much appreciated, and I def will get one of those disposable cameras, too!
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Hello Annie,

Thank you once again for your interest in Anguilla. I suggest you contact Shoal Bay Scuba Company at 1 (264) 235-1482
www.shoalbayscuba.com. The company is located on the eastern side of the island next to the Ku Hotel which sits on the beach that was ranked number one by the travel channel.
You can make the necessary arrangements with either Ku hotel or the diving company themselves to assist you with securing your valuables.

Feel free to contact me further for more information.
Amalia Watty
Marketing Associate
Anguilla Tourist Board
246 Central Ave
White Plains, NY 10606
T: 914 287 2400
F: 914 287 2404
W: http://www.angilla-vacation.com/
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Amalia, thank you so much! Funny that you're in White Plains, because we live in Manhattan, and my girlfriend has an office on Mamaroneck Ave., 5 minutes from you ;-)

In terms of our valuables, we're just really concerned about our passports, etc. while we swim. It will only be a day trip, so we're really wondering about the snorkeling either straight off the shore or from a boat. What would you suggest is the best area there?

Is part of what you do arranging these kind of activities?

Annie
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Amalia, do you know anything about the Passport card? As an American citizen, can I use it instead of my regular passport when taking the Marigot ferry to Anguilla for a day trip? It would be so much easier to keep dry when swimming.

Annie
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM

I'm not Amalia but I can answer your question on the passport card. You won't be able to use it entering Anguilla nor back to St. Martin. The passport card is only good for re-entering the US at a land border crossing or by sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. You are going from one foreign country to another so you'll need your passport.

Here's the info from the State Department's web site:

What is the passport card?

The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3921.html
Old May 7th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Sharona! I had a feeling the guy in the scuba store was wrong.