Reload this Page >

Day trip from St Thomas to BVI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:27 PM
tom

We would like to take a day trip from St Thomas to the BVI. We have 2 boys, ages 8 & 10. We prefer going a boat with a smaller more intimate group. I am looking into a company named Nauti Nymph, which rents boats with a captain for the day. As such, we can do our own itinerary. Has anyone had any experience with this company? I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions for other companys.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:49 PM
amc

Tom, <BR>I realize you mentioned you prefer going from St Thomas to BVI on a boat, however, let me suggest something else. On my last visit, my son and I flew Cape Air from St. Thomas to Tortola. (We had packed a backpack with picnic items, swimsuit, and towels for our day trip there.) Then we took a boat from Tortola to Virgin Gorda. I can't rave enough about how beautiful it was to fly from St. Thomas to Tortola. You fly relatively low and you can see all of the islands from the air,note their size, shape, grand mountains, etc., also the water is amazing from up there. My 16 year old son was fascinated!!! When we got there, we asked some of the locals around the dock about how to get over to Virgin Gorda and they pointed us to a company that could take us over with some other people that also were trying to get to Virgin Gorda. They carried us over on a boat to Virgin Gorda from the docks in Tortola. (The docks were a short walk from the airport.) The boat ride took at least 20 minutes, maybe longer, sorry but I don't remember. It was so nice to sit there and feel the wind in my hair and smell the sea spray. In Virgin Gorda, we snorkeled in the baths, had a great time there then took the same boat back to Tortola. Sure, it sounds like a lot of traveling, but it was part of the adventure. It was great to go via air and sea. Sorry, but I've no experience with the Nauti Nymph, but I'm curious about them as well. Maybe someone else will respond with some useful information.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 08:54 AM
bp

Hi - I just returned and saw these boats all over the place in St John and Jost Van Dyke. I used to live in St. Thomas (1993), Nauti Nymph was in operation then &amp; I always heard good things.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 10:03 AM
debby

We booked a wonderful day trip from St. Thomas to BVI with the company Atlantis (Havergil Mall) just after Christmas, 2002. We went on a smallboat first to Jos van dyke beach. We were then served a sumptuous lunch and were taken to the most fabulous beach I can remember. It was an all day trip. Our 15 year old son, thought it was great. There were a total of nine of us on the trip. I can recommend it highly.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Debby

Sorry, it was Havensight Mall

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 01:56 PM
kbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband and I just got back from two weeks in the US and British VIs. We stayed on St. Thomas and daytripped from Red Hook on the east end of the island. We HIGHLY recommend Capt. Rick and the Stormy Petrel. They skipped Jost Van Dyke(A total party island) and went around Tortola, to Virgin Gorda, with lunch on Cooper Island, a visit to to The Baths, Salt Island, and private snorkeling on
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 02:38 PM
kbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My apologies! My computer froze and I couldn't even complete a sentence! To finish my thought, Capt. Rick and the Stormy Petrel were great, and after a lunch on Cooper Island, we had a private snorkel off of Peter Island, and then a leisurely trip back to Red Hook. Capt. Rick has lived in the VIs for 35 years, and had MUCH to offer by way of history of the islands, and hilarious stories about more &quot;current events&quot; in the VIs. The staff was fabulous and treated us all royally. We thoroughly enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate booking with them again. The boat had only 12 passengers, and by the end of the trip we were fast friends. A wonderful experience we will never forget.