Reload this Page >

Snorkeling near Mango Bay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 05:33 PM
Dawn

Can anyone tell me if the snorkeling is very good in the Mango Bay Villa area of VG? We are experienced snorkelers and are considering staying at one of these villas and wonder if the coral reefs, etc. in that area are good? Also, have the problems I've read about their plumbing etc. from 2000 been resolved? Is the food at Giogio's ok? -this is not our primary concern, but just curious. Thanks.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Ann

Giorgio's is okay, but limited. Decent snorkeling from the shore is generally not available from the BVI islands that are inhabited except Anegada. An experienced snorkeler (as am I) would be disappointed with less than a day cruise to one of the uninhabited channel islands across from Tortola and having a guide certainly prevents a lot of wasted time. <BR>We've enjoyed the catamaran Patouche II on 4 separate vacations. Their full day sail will include a minimum of 3 and max of 4 sites on 2 to 3 islands depending on the winds and wave action on the day(s) you book. Runs about $70 pp with meals. Very safe and very professional. <BR>Again, don't expect much from the shore and if you've done the Caymans or Belize, don't expect anything comparable. This is an island for sailors first and foremost. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Ann

I should also have mentioned Anegada, which is a reef island with lots of snorkeling. You can take a cat there or fly. We took Fly BVI's day trip air charter. Lobster lunch on the beach. You worry about nothing but showing up at the airport. You are flown straight to the lonely airstrip on Anegada and picked up by cab and driven to a beach with a restaurant on it on Loblolly Bay and are left to your own devices to swim, snorkel the reefs, or sleep in the hammocks in the shade of the sea grape trees until the taxi comes for you in the late afternoon.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 04:21 AM
Alby

Ditto comments on Olde Yard. An excellent small resort on a stunning beach. Intimate. Friendly. Romantic. Charming.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Alby

Ooops! Wrong response to the wrong poster. Let's start again! What I meant to say Dawn, was that we enjoyed snorkeling in the BVI very much and also used Patouche. I think it was last year that the couple that ran the Patouche's almost daily dive cruises retired. And they were a terric couple, a real credit to the tourist business on Tortola, and one heck of a lot of fun to cruise with. The irascible Frenchie and the lovely Claudia. I've heard that the couple that now work for the owners are doing very well but I haven't been back to the BVI to test things out.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 05:42 AM
KNoel

Mango Bay has several kayaks that you can use to explore the reef off the beach. We've done a lot of snorkeling, and I will say that if you don't mind exploring a little, you can find some great snorkeling off the beach both at Mango and around the corner at Savannah (accessable by kayak also). Georgio's Table is an excellent restaurant! It's expensive, so we just ate there twice during our 8 day stay.