Elbow Cay, Bahamas Need Help with lodging choice

Old Apr 19th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elbow Cay, Bahamas Need Help with lodging choice

For our 1st ever visit to the Abacos, trying to decide between these two choices (just 2 of us for 3 nights over Memorial Weekend)

Abaco Inn or

Hopetown Harbour Lodge....HHL has an Oceanview Cottage $295 (King) or a lodge room for $195 (Queen). Do the lodge rooms have any views? We plan on doing zero cooking for ourselves so the kitchenette is not a huge seller for the cottage, however we do prefer the King bed...not sure its worth $100 additional...looks like the views from the "oveanview cottage" are only so-so from pictures I'm seeing...please tell me if I'm mistaken...
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 03:07 AM

I would choose the Hopetown Harbour Lodge over the Abaco Inn for a first time visitor. I've stayed at the Abaco Inn myself, and visited HHL, and HHL has in its favor the fact that the beach in front of HHL is swimmable, while the one in front of the Abaco Inn is coral and rock bound. Also, at the Abaco Inn, you are walking distance only to the Abaco Inn and the Seaspray for dining options (both of which are good), while at HHL, you have all of Hopetown at your disposal.

Can't tell you anything about the rooms at the HHL, but I doubt you'll be spending all that much time in room when you are in such a beautiful setting.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:14 AM

Although it has been several years, I have stayed at both the Abaco Inn and the HHL. I agree with Callaloo about a first time visitor being able to more easily get around and see more staying at HHL and she is definitely right about the difference in the beaches- the crashing waves on the rocks at AI can make for a stunning view but I would rather have a walkable and swimmable beach close by myself. I stayed in one of the little units by the pool at HHL but saw some of the rooms in the inn- I would call them on the phone and ask which ones have views (I remember pretty views of the harbour side) and decide based on the information they relate about views and bed sizes. You can never tell because even the heighth of trees or shrubbery can change and block views or open up views by their growth so I would get first hand information! Have a great time!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:14 AM

I haven't stayed at either, we usually rent a cottage, but have eaten at both. The food at HTHL was a little fussy, we prefer Abaco Inn. However, in terms of location and style I would definitely agree that HTHL is the choice.

Have fun in what is the greatest place on earth!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM

We stayed at Hopetown Harbor Lodge, and our room had a small balcony/patio with a view of the harbor. Although we rented a golf cart, in the evenings we walked to various places for dinner, and around the little town. At that time, there was a lady who fed what seemed to be hundreds of stray cats on her porch and it seemed like most of them were orange. As you can tell by my name, I love orange cats, so that was a wonderful sight to see.

We enjoyed the bar and restaruant at HHL. We passed by the Abaco Inn in our golf cart and it looked nice, and I would like to stay there on a future visit. You probably can't go wrong whicheve one you pick.