Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Curacao ? Help Needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/curacao-help-needed-736334/)

afields Sep 13th, 2007 05:10 PM

Curacao ? Help Needed

My husband and I are looking for a 6-7 night Carribean vacation Jan. 3 - 10 with our two college aged kids. Must be easy to get to from Chicago. Would prefer a nice resort with something for everyone but not overrun with young children! We don't mind paying for a nice place where everyone will be happy. THANKS!!

KVR Sep 14th, 2007 11:59 AM

We are reseraching Curacao for next April. Most recommendations for hotels are either the Hotel Kura Hulanda and Spa or the Marriott. Do a search on this forum and you'll get lots of info and then go to www.tripadvisor.com and read reviews for the hotels your interested in.

I think we've decided on the Lion's Dive. Great location, free admission to the Sea Aquairum, and they offer a meal plan.

We have a couple who is planning on meeting us there. They are in the Chiacgo area also. According to them they will either fly Delta and connect through Atlanta of fly American and connect through Miami.

StanKase Sep 14th, 2007 03:09 PM

With the teens the Marriottt is best. The classsiest hotel though is Kura. At the Marriott you might like the Ocean View rooms. Acivities for the teens are enough plus if you rent a car for 3-4 days you are 30-40 minutes from the WEST END with some of the best snorkeling now in the Caribbean, coral bleaching has not gotten there yet. Restaurants are good though expensive. Good dinners are $30-$60/ person. Look at Curacao thread for recommendations and the few to avoid, namely the Portofino at the Marriott and Ft. Nassau.But there are 6-7 good ones within 20 minutes of the Marriott.

Knowing Sep 16th, 2007 02:20 PM

Curacao is a great place to spend a vacation. We flew from Mpls on AA to Miami and then to Curacao. We considered the Kura, but a local actually talked me into staying at the Marriott and we found it plenty luxurious. The swimming pool area is an irresistible oasis that lures you to spend hours there with a good book until you are enticed by the stretch of white sand. Good amenities and service, and a variety of music down by the beach bar at night. Shopping in the downtown area, excellent restaurants and nightlife. Curacao is an unforgettable place with a fascinating culture.

allietoo Sep 17th, 2007 03:14 PM

My college aged son and high school daughters enjoyed the Marriott. Music at night, a fun pool, beach attractive for laying out, informal beach bar food, rather typically Marriott, but not bad. Also a deli w/pizza option on site. My son also particularly liked the breakfast buffet and though it was expensive, ate our money's worth. Oceanview room for the kids was very nice. My husband and I sprang for the oceanfront, but the view and atmosphere of the ov room was a pleasant surprise. I was not too excited about downtown Curacao and my son and husband had pretty murky water for snorkling, but that really depends on weather etc.