Curacao -- getting from Marriott to town?

Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Curacao -- getting from Marriott to town?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of planning my honeymoon, and I am seriously considering Curacao and staying at the Marriott. The website says it is "five minutes from downtown" -- but I'm wondering what this means as a practical matter.

We'd want to go exploring, as well as probably go into town for dinner most nights. Would we be able to walk? If not, are cabs expensive? Is there a public transportation option? Should we consider renting a car?

Any help would be much appreciated! (Also, if you have Curacao restaurant recommendations, I'd love those too!)
Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM

Not walking distance, but a short cab ride. The Marriott runs a shuttle to town a few times during the day, which is handy for shopping and sightseeing, but not for dinner. Good restaurants include Astrolab (gourmet but pricey), La Pergola (Italian), Bistro Le Clochard (French), and Blues (seafood). You won't need a car unless you plan to go to the beaches at the western end of the island, which we did not do (although many people say it's worth the trip). We liked the Marriott a lot, especially teh pool area,, but don't eat dinner there.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM

Consider renting a car for a couple of days and see the sights of the island, although you should know that the roads are not very well marked. So it helps if you study a map ahead of time.
The Dutch influenced architecture downtown was interesting and you can spend some time shopping. Of course, you don't want to miss the sparkling clear aquamarine water down at the beach in front of the hotel.
We thought the best restaurants were Bistro Le Clochard, Blues and Jaanchie’s. The Marriott has good food, just don't eat in the restaurant upstairs.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM

Def. rent a car. Lots of driving on Curacao..everything is far apart once you leave town.

We visited some great beach clubs while were were there...Playa Porto Marie had the best food! and a great beach.

Cas Abao was quiet and beautiful. The food wasnt as good as Porto Marie, but the beach was very nice.

Peace, Greenie
Jul 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM

I would stongly disagree with the Marriott having god food. The Portofino restaurant is POOR and fairly expensive. If you try to search several ways on this site you will find 8-19 travelers who will say the same thing. The lunches though are pretty good.
Astrolab Observatory is one of the best restaurants on the island but the tab is $150USD but so are some of the other good ones mentioned. I would stay away from Ft. Nassau except for drinks (the view is lovely). Two other restaurants to consider are Avalon (mid-range priced) and LeRousse (spelling may be off a little buut it is Swiss/french and very good but $125/couple)
Jul 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM

We stayed at the Marriott, and the food was fine - nothing special, but not bad or anything. I would definitely get a car. It's easy to drive around Curacao, and there is some neat scenary....