Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Jamaica for a lst timer...where? Now this post has caught my attention...please help me

Search

Jamaica for a lst timer...where? Now this post has caught my attention...please help me

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
owa

I am really interested in the answers to this post. I'm in the process of researching where to take my family of 10 for our annual Christmas trip. We are 6 adults and 4 children (ages 11-16). Would Treasure Beach be a possibility for us? A villa or a resort? Would we fly into MB? Any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks, Owa

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again, for your large, diverse group, Negril would be perfect. No rental cars needed....most places are walking distance. A beautiful 7 mile beach (more like 4-5 miles at best) and very good swimming. Sandy bottom for swimming and shallow a long ways out....perfect in our minds! Many inexpensive restaurants located on the beach and in the cliffs. You would fly into MoBay and take a shuttle to Negril....approx 1 hr and 15 mins. Much better than the 2 and a half hours it used to take on the old road! Check out Coco La Palm or Rondel Village....I believe both places would suit your needs perfectly.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:43 AM
owa

Thanks caribbeanSoul, This looks like a great possibility. I just wish ticket prices would go down. Owa

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:45 AM

Where are you flying out of?
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM
owa

We are flying out of Sioux Falls, South Dakota and Bemidji, Minnesota. Meet in Minneapolis and fly together. Owa

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM

With that size group, consider one of the villas at Moondance Villas in Negril. www.moondancevillas.com
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:08 PM

OWA: Check out beachdestinations.com which has packages to both places I recommended. Excellent web travel site.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:09 PM

They are even actually based out of a small town in Minnesota....Upsala...just out of Little Falls (my hometown!).
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 03:50 AM

owa-Have you checked the price of tickets to Hawaii?It might be cheaper to go there..more specifically if you do check Kauai.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:15 AM

For Treausre Beach accomodations, see the community Web site at treasurebeach.net
Properties (villas) large enuf for a family of 10 include Unforgettable, The Buccanneer, Sparkling Waters, Blue Marlin/Coquina as well as Jake's. a small boutique hotel. Moodance villas in Negril is also a good choice. MoBay/Sangster Intl would be your arrival/departure airport.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Sorry....was thinking of a different travel website in my earlier reference of being Minn based. beachdestinations.com is a Calif company.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Negril is a wonderful place to go. As far as airfare, you can find deals. We flew to Jamaica in march of 2004 and paid 400 roundtrip. Some friends of mine went Feb of this year and paid 330. We live in minneapolis and used MLT. We bought our tickets a month before we left and if you go to MLT website on Tuesday mornings they run specials on airfare for a certain amount of seats, just for that day.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM
owa

Thanks everyone. Is MLT the same as Worry Free Vacations? I will certainly check into the villas as long as we have a cook. I don't know if I'm starting too early, but these trips are so important to me that I don't want to chance everything being booked. Keep all these wonderful suggestions coming. Owa

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Most villas in Jamaica come with a cook (and maid and security/gardener, sometimes a laundress and the more $$$ ones may have a bartender and butler besides).

MLT and Worry Free are the same.

I don't think it's too early....for that time period many really nice villas are already booked or going fast.

As to Negril or TB....Negril is nice for our family because everyone can go their own way without needing a car, but we like TB too because it's a lot more laid back and less touristy....depending where you stay you can also walk there, or use bicycles. Both places have taxis though they are easier to flag down in Negril.

A villa usually has a driver you can hire as needed or for the whole trip.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:48 PM
owa

Liza, Where do you stay in Negril? Does your family consist of children and adults? Do you go often and why? I guess I'm asking what acitivities, etc. makes it a destination for you. Thanks, Sharon

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 03:17 PM

At the moment my kids are 11 and 7, they've been to JA 3 or 4 times now. My husband's family used to go often, and we've traveled with them as well - they are also a mix of kids (3 years old to teen) and adults.

I actually plan to do Treasure Beach with them next (we've been there without kids already), but the last 2 trips with them have been to Negril, we've stayed at Rondel Village and Nirvana, both offer villas/cottages with kitchen, LR, and cook services.

My children love to swim most of all...so just being on the beach (when it's winter at home) is what they like best. We bring floaty toys, walk up to Margaritaville's water trampolines, go out on a boat to snorkel or sail, stuff like that. They also like to go up to 3 Dives on the cliffs, they love the food there and the bonfire, and the owner's kids.

We go to Jamaica often, not always to Negril. The kids have snorkeled with manatees in a rather remote river, they've seen crocs and dolphins on a boat trip from TB (we went for the day with them last year), they've climbed a couple of waterfalls.

If i ask them to choose a vacation destination they ALWAYS say Jamaica, over Disney or anything else