Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Culebra - what would be your top picks of where to stay?

Sep 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be spending 2-3 nights in Culebra in January. I have sent some emails out and am finding there are a lot of places that have minimum night stays.

Ideally I want to be on a beach. I checked into Villa Flamenco Beach but no availability. I can be happy in a guest house, B&B, hotel, etc. What matters most to me besides being on the water is clean, no mold, mildew or bugs.

Please recommend where to stay that will be either beautiful location, quaint, charming, or for some other reason a perfect choice, and why.

Thank you very much for you thoughts on this.
Sep 8th, 2008, 09:50 PM

Check with Villa Flamenco Beach as to where to stay. Being your 1st pick they may help with your 2nd pick. I will be there with my wife in Jan and still trying to put my trip together. Been to Puerto Rico many times and have never been to Celebra. Good luck
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM

Did you try Villa Boheme?
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Could you tell me more about Villa Boheme and have you stayed on the Island.May want to stay Thank You
Sep 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM

We stayed at Villa Boheme in February 2007 for 6 nights in room 11 which had a lovely view of the bay. The balcony actually hung out over the edge of the water. The room was simple but comfortable and had a kitchenette with a full refrigerator and stove/oven. We found VB to be a very convenient location from which to walk a short few blocks to restaurants when we did not want to use the jeep we rented. We visited a different beach every day and loved our stay on Culebra. I would stay there again if we return.
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

ishkribbl, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I have looked at a few websites of small places like Villa Boheme that are on the bay and pretty close to town, with nice views. It seems like this is a very common location for lodging.

I was hoping to find something a bit off the beaten track, a little more secluded and close to a beach, not the bay. While you were there did you notice any places like this?
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM

No, not really- there is very, very little that is beachfront or even remotely beachfront. I was very glad I did not stay at the bigger beachfront place on Flamenco Beach- I have forgotten the name of it, sorry, but I am sure you know what I mean. I did take note of a couple of houses if we returned. Also, I had not been convinced before our visit that the Bahia Marina condos was a place we would want to stay but after talking at length to another lady on the culebra forum who had stayed there and liked it more than once I might reconsider it- did you look at that? Also, we had a very nice dinner at the Club Seaborne and liked the atmosphere the one night we were there but I have read one negative review that it got loud or noisy with partiers so I don't know.
Sorry not to have been more help but frankly, I think MOST of Culebra, except Flamenco Beach, is "off the beaten path"- that is exactly why we liked it. I look for "off the beaten path" places and accommodations myself.

PS Did you search the accommodations on the www.islaculebra.com website? There may be some smaller apartments in the Melones Beach area that I might look at now that I have been there and understand where things are located.
Good luck- you will like it there I think!
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Juldie- I do not know how to post photos on Fodors- I just read all the website info and still can't find directions- if you do know then I will post a nice picture from our balcony at VB if you would like to see.
Sep 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

ishkribbl, I did look at islaculebra.com but just looking at listings doesn't really tell me what I am looking for. I have come to appreciate in my trip planning the viewpoints I get from Fodorites. It is so helpful to hear from people who have personal experiences.

No need to post your pictures here, but thank you so much for offering. I did see the pictures on the Villa Boheme site.

Maybe there are other people on the board that will post about places on Culebra who have been there that might be more of what I am looking for. Although the island is of course off the beaten track as you point out, I am going to keep searching for a place that might be very unique and very close to the beach, not the bay. Thanks again.
Sep 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM

The choices for lodging as far as being close to a beach is very limited. Villa Flamenco and Tamarindo are probably the only ones right by the beach. Tamarindo is more of a rocky beach than soft sand. I have not stayed in either, so can't tell you what they are like. The rest of the accommodations are around town.

We stayed at Palmetto Guest House. Not on the water, but clean and laid back. We stayed before the current couple purchased the property and from what I understand, they have made it even better than it was before.
Sep 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Will look at your guest house thank you .
As for the photos on trip Advisor the 2000 plus photos really help see P.R. and also gives comments on what you are looking for In P.R.Been there many yrs ago and really looking forward to getting back for vacation
Sep 10th, 2008, 03:58 PM

I don't think the photos on the VB website are particularly good or do it justice, that is why I offered more. Oh well, to each his own, good luck. I searched for months for what Juldie says she is looking for and I wanted to rent for a week rather than a couple of days in a busy time and I did not find it. Mymoosie is right- there is not much right on the beach but it really doesn't matter! Culebra is different and special.
Sep 10th, 2008, 06:18 PM

have a son that is coming on the trip and he is 21 yrs old . Is it wise to stay on Culebra for 2 days or willher be bored? I,m cool with just hanging out and enjoying the beach yet it could be to slow for him . What else is there to do ? thx
Sep 13th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Good afternoon,
Re: the question about a 21 year old in Culebra. We've had guests of all ages enjoy the island. You might want to take a look at http://culebrablog.com for more Culebra-specific info. There are fotos & (new!) videos there of different hikes. You can also take snorkeling boat trips (in addition to snorkeling from shore). You can bike or kayak around. Take a water taxi to Culebrita for the day, etc.

Good luck!
Terrie
Palmetto Guesthouse
Nov 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM

Realize it,s been awhile since getting back for answers and thank you helping with my travel plans . Sound like we will be spending time on Culebra this Jan. thank you