Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Culebra Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/culebra-questions-251028/)

Janice Aug 19th, 2002 10:16 AM

Culebra Questions

My husband and I are considering Culebra for an upcoming Caribbean vacation. We are very interested in hearing from others who have stayed there. Are the beaches relatively litter free? Is the water usually calm at Zoni Beach during July? Does the island have a low crime rate (would it be considered safe to rent an isolated villa)? How are tourists treated on the island? We know there are no guarantees regarding crime, but we stay away from know high crime islands and islands. We love long calm water beach walking, quiet islands with no glitz, simple local restaurants and local music once in awhile. Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.

helibel Aug 20th, 2002 08:02 AM

Zoni beach is in a subdivision and I haven't actually swam there. Flamingo beach is gorgeous but the day we went there must have been 800 daytrippers there( i hear it is not so bad in season)and we had no interest in staying. We went looking for the OTHER beach that you have to walk a mile downhill to ( and a mile uphill returning) and didn't find it. There are all of two places to eat and if you are staying out at Zoni, it is probably a good 20 minute drive back to town for them. Culebra is cute, and relaxing I guess, except we like deserted beaches and we didn't find IT. maybe w3orth two days, then go to Vieques!!!

victor rivera Aug 23rd, 2002 04:35 PM

Flamenco beach at Culebras was pick as the second most beatuful in U.S. territory. Culebras in a quiet island, almost a natural reserve. If you like to walk on the beach at night, maby you can see a giant sea turttle coming to nest on the sand. NO crime at Culebra,<BR>rent a Jeep. and have fun<BR>

laila Aug 26th, 2002 02:36 PM

Just got back from PR, visited culebra for a day. Flamenco Beach was amazingly beautiful, very clean and tranquil the water was so clear you could see straight to the bottom without any problems. The sand is a powdery white I've never seen such a beautiful beach like Flamenco. No wonder it was rated one of the most beautiful. The locals are very helpful. There is zero crime in culebra. Only drawback there arent many restaurants I saw two in town one of them was closed. If all you want to do is lounge on the beach, kayak and snorkel well culebra is the place,other than that it seems theres nothing else to do. I enjoy PR where theres lots to do. Enjoy your trip.

cj Aug 26th, 2002 04:06 PM

Beaches are clean. The ones on the south side are more corally and pebbly and ones on the north (Flamenco, at least) very sandy. Snorkeling was fantastic off Melones and not too bad at Flamenco -- haven't been to Zoni.<BR><BR>Culebra is probably one of THE most crime-free places around -- I don't think you'd ha ve any problems in an isolated villa. (Our villa: you could lock the door ON THE OUTSIDE when you left-- think about it!! Otherwise no locks and no need for.)<BR><BR>We were treated wonderfully -- some of the most sincerely friendly people I've other met -- and fellow tourists are nice too -- don't be surprised about this -- sometimes tourists can be awful, you know?!<BR>There is no glitz there -- restaurants we enjoyed were Mamacit's and Dinghy Dock. Very laid back island -- we hope to return again someday but this time stay in a private villa because the one we rented, one of a group of "villas" (just outside the village) was less than lovely!!! I hope you get to go -- you sound like the the kind of people who would like it!!! (I hope i get to go (again), too!!!)

cj Aug 26th, 2002 04:08 PM

Make that Mamacita's -- I can't type!<BR><BR>Also, feel free to e-mail me with other questions -- i don't check on here too often, so e-mail is a better bet if you want answers!