Cuba...where to go??

Dec 31st, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster
Cuba...where to go??

I am planning on taking a trip to Cuba, and would like to know some general info.

What is the difference with Cayo Largo/Cayo Guillermo/ Cayo Coco?? terms of beaches, weather, resorts, things to do etc...

I've heard NOT to go to Veradero, just that it's expensive and this true??

I would really like a fun yet relaxing vacation, but need some help deciding! Thanks.

BTW; I will be travelling with my husband (we are in our mid 20's)
Dec 31st, 2003, 08:43 AM
Just got back from Varadero on the 27/12/03. Not sure where you got your info from but it was not snotty or expensive. We had agreat time. took a day trip to Havana and loved it. When are you planning on going , becos I do not think Dec/jan is good for beach weather in varadero. For us we will go back to Varadero around March as weather will be warmer. Go to Carribbean-on-line, they have an active Cuba forum and you will be able to get tons of info. Also my review on Melia Varadero hotel is on tripadvisor.
Dec 31st, 2003, 11:15 AM

Hola Travel Bug:
Cuba is such a diverse destination that you have many options. A lot really depends on the type of traveller you are and what your preferences are.
Are you primarily a beach person, or do you enjoy touring cities and exploring galleries, museums, old forts and artisan markets?
Cayo Largo, Cayo Guillermo/Cayo Coco are primarily beach destinations. Cayo Largo has IMHO the absolute best beach in the caribbean, but it's a very quiet island off Cuba's south coast and other than beach and resort activities there is not a lot to do. You can spend a day exploring the island by jeep or scooter, and also fishing/snorkelling from either beach or boat, but there are no towns or nightlife to explore.
The same basically holds true for Cayo Coco/Guillermo areas, though small towns are on the mainland reached by causeway.
Varadero is pretty touristy, but besides the beach there are lots of activities to do and a fair sized town to explore.
But if exploring is your primary fun activity, then Havana is an absolute must see. I admit that Havana is my primary Cuban destination as I am not really a beach person. I like to just grab a quick swim in the mornings and spend the day exploring Old Havana, cafe's, quaint neighbourhoods and great Salsa music.

As a good compromise, a resort called Breezes Jibacoa is located about halfway between Havana and Varadero and I have heard great reviews of this AI resort. It's also only about 1 hour (45 miles) from Havana on a good highway. Excursions are available. Here's a link with some info on the resort.

If you want to view some photos of Havana (with full info) on some of the things you can see and do, check out my Cuban website at.

And I fully concur with Dock in that you should check out the Cuba forum on Caribline for active Cuba discussions and tips. Here's the link.

I know you'll enjoy the Cuban experience.
Steve (YYZ)

Search this Thread