Reload this Page >

Cuba Jan 99 - gifts to take

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 04:57 AM
Lee

<BR>We are going to Cuba in Jan 99 and would like to take the staff things they might appreciate. We have been told to take gum, pens and panty hose but don't know if this is the case. Any other suggestions? <BR>Thanks <BR>

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 04:37 PM
lee

Dear Lee <BR> <BR>Almost anything you can think of will be appreciated in Cuba. They need EVERYTHING and anything. You could take school supplies for the nearest school, like notebooks and pencils. They also like to get things like scrunchies or barettes for their hair,toothbrushes are popular. <BR> <BR>My husband and I have been to Cuba at least once a year for about six years and we have taken down lots of stuff, and we have never had anything refused; because if the person you give something to can't use it ,they will trade it for something they can use. I hope this info has been useful to you and if you need any more feel free to e-mail me <BR> <BR>Kathy <BR>P.S. I hope you enjoy Cuba as much as we do.

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 09:08 AM
Nina

You can also take extra shampoo, razors, pencils for the school children. We were asked for lipstick and nailpolish and they went crazy for our Blue Jays T-shirt, which we just ended up giving to a fellow on our last day on the beach.. Cubans are very poor - they will appreciate anything you give them. <BR>Have a wonderful trip!!

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 10:42 AM
Donna

Take some gum,when you get off any of the tour buses the kids ask for gum, apparently it is in big demand on the black market they will trade it for what they want.Also most resorts in cuba have their own private beach but the cuban nationale's have their own ,usually right next to the private ones.They are clearly marked and you are allowed to go in(although they warn against it)there is no danger the beaches are crawling with secret police.You may not see them but the cubans know who they are.Anyway if you go onto the public beach with pens gum ,clothes,ANYTHING,you can trade for black coral,crafts,shells.They will come to you,they have built in radar for foreigners,and will ask if you have anything to barter.If you get black coral or anything not allowed out of the country , carry it in a pocket.(suitcases are xrayed)bodies aren't.Have a great vacation, I travel there 3 Times a year.LOVE IT

Old Dec 9th, 1998, 11:52 AM
lynne

<BR>A friend of mine left her over-the-counter medication, band-aids anything like that. She had to have medical attention while in Cuba and very quickly realized that although medical staff is well trained medical supplies are very short in Cuba. <BR> <BR>Re: the black coral -- I believe it is protected and that is the reason that you are not allowed to remove it from the country. When I was in the Dominican Republic I was told that black coral was protected and the travel guide asked that we not buy anything made of black coral.

Old Dec 24th, 1998, 11:50 AM
Wayne

I took a whole suitcase full of stuff for them when I went there last month. The things absolutely needed most are medications. Asperin, cold remedies, antibiotic creams, antacids will be very welcome. I took a bottle of milk of magnesia and found out that they can't get it there at any price. <BR> <BR>They are appreciative of any thing you give them and they will share it with their neighbors. I would suggest that you stay in a "casa particular" for a night or two and really get to know the people. They are really great.