Reload this Page >

cruise,shore excursions I NEED HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 10:42 AM
Janice

We are leaving Dec.18 on a 10 night cruise going to St Lucia, Barbados, St Maarten,St Thomas and Antigua., on Celebrity's Horizon.We just got the shore excursion book and are overwhelmed at the choices,need some advice on what to do and what to avoid. Thanks.

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 04:23 PM
Rachel

Janice, in St. Maarten try some walking around town and enjoying the locals. You can take a cab to beautiful Orient Beach or rent a car if you feel adventurous. The snorkeling is not that good in St. Maarten, so don't pay the price. In St. Thomas, you must go snorkeling at St. John. If you can do the Five Star St. John Snorkeling tour on the Leylon Sneed Oyster Boat, do it. Well worth the price. The most beautiful snorkeling in the world to me. Have not been to the other islands. Have a great time.

Old Dec 10th, 1998, 12:13 PM
lisa

I have not been on this cruise but I was in St. Lucia a few weeks ago. I believe many cruise ships dock in the northern part of the island around Castries and then offer excursions to the southern part of the island around Soufriere. One popular option that a lot of people seemed to take advantage of was a sailing trip or catamaran down to the south, to the volcano, botanical gardens, waterfalls, plantation tour, etc. and then back up to the north over land. We stayed in the southern part of the island near Soufriere so we did not do the catamaran trip, but we did tour the botanical gardens, volcano, waterfalls, etc. in a taxi with a local guide and really thought it was worthwhile. The other day trip we did was to the rainforest with a guide named Bruno, where you hiked through the jungle down to a waterfall and we all went swimming and then hiked back out. The trees and fruits and foliage are amazing. We also went snorkeling at Anse Chastenet several times and I recommend that too. I'm sure you have a lot of options but definitely get out and see some of what St. Lucia has to offer -- especially in the southern part of the island, which is very green and mountainous and lush and picturesque, not flat like much of the rest. We loved the island and the people and definitely plan to return. Have a good time!

Old Dec 11th, 1998, 07:25 AM
Emily Connolly

Janice, <BR>You didn't say if like beach, sailing, snorkeling, shopping, etc. <BR>It is often much less expensive to make friends with another couple and split the cost of a cab tour, rather than the expensive cruise ship tours. <BR>If you like snorkeling, in St. Thomas go to Sapphire beach. St John is nice, but the snorkeling at Sapphire is better and you will not be surrounded by hundreds of other cruisers. In Antigua, take a cab for a snorkel and lunch at Hawksnest ( if you like snorkeling). Let's here what you like to do, though, because it is overwhelming. The more you plan now, the easier it will be for you.

Old Dec 15th, 1998, 04:44 AM
Anna

I would recommend Orient Beach in St. Maarten. The beach is a gorgeous sandy white and the water is turqoise blue. There are places to buy food and drinks along the beach and you can also go parasailing, etc. We took a snorkeling excursion and asked the bus to drop us off near Orient Beach. We were able to take a cab back from there for $5 per person (there were 4 of us).

Old Dec 15th, 1998, 04:45 AM
Anna

I would recommend Orient Beach in St. Maarten. The beach is a gorgeous sandy white and the water is turqoise blue. There are places to buy food and drinks along the beach and you can also go parasailing, etc. We took a snorkeling excursion and asked the bus to drop us off near Orient Beach. We were able to take a cab back from there for $5 per person (there were 4 of us).

Old Dec 15th, 1998, 04:45 AM
Anna

Old Dec 15th, 1998, 04:46 AM
Anna

Ooooooooooooppppps - sorry for the multiple posts.