Crime in the carib

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Jeremy

Crime in the carib

From "Top Ten of Everything, 2002" by Russell Ash...

Top Ten International Crime Rates for 2001
1. Gibraltar
2. Surinam
3. St. Kitts and Nevis
4. Finland
5. Rwanda
6. New Zealand
7. Sweden
8. Canada
10. U.S. Virgin Islands

Take note: NO ST. MARTIN!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Beth

I don't know where you got these figures, but I have my doubts about their veracity. This is completely ridiculous!!! Just think about it for a minute. St. Kitts, Sweden, Canada, New Zealand - Totally bananas

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Carib Fan

Ummm. Maybe this was Letterman's list....

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Dean

To beth and carib fan,

There weren't too many words in the original post but you seemed to miss a few. The first line of the post read;
"Top Ten of Everything, 2002" by Russell Ash"

Why do you ask where the figures came from when it's in the first line of the original post? It came from a book! Go to amazon.com or visit your local bookstore.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 07:16 AM
x

It doesn't matter if St. Martin is #1 or #1,000,000 in crime. The rumour mongers will continue to say whatever they want, true or not, so Jeremy should just give up.

Besides, wouldn't it be best if the crabby malcontents just stayed home?

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:10 PM
Melissa

I am sorry, but are implying that Canada has a higher crime rate than the USA?! Sorry folks, but I think there are some problems with that picture. Canada has often made top ten list for best places in the world to live because of our low crime rates, high standards of living, and damb it, it is the best place in the world to live!!! In the words of a great beer ad "I AM CANADIAN!" and damb proud of it.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:54 PM
Teacher

Melissa...it's D_A_M_N.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:55 PM
Shannon

Melissa, you sound like a typical DUMBASS travel agent representing the prejudiced drunken beer-swirling, fist & foot beating for fun, curse & spit uppercrust trailer park millions of good ol' Canada. It's because of people like you that so many have such a contempt for your country. I have never heard of anyone wanting to live in Canada, not even the ones living there. Canadians are always looking to get out of Canada. And, there is plenty of crime in Montreal and Toronto. So, get off your high muskrat and go back to school.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:11 AM
Luc

Since when does Canada have a high standard of living? This is laughable. Obviously this 'Melissa" has never ventured out of Canada to see the rest of the world. And if she has, I can guarantee it must have been to Cuba. Having been born in Canada, and now living in the US, I can tell you that Americans have a much higher standard of living than Canadians. And, the US may have more crime because it is so overpopulated. Remember the US welcomes all foreigners.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:39 AM
abc

It is a real book. You can buy the book at Amazon.com for $12 and change; used copies are $8 and change. Can believe St. Kitts - didn't feel very comforatable when I visited a few years ago.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:20 AM
Yeah, right.

Yeah, right. Even if the list exists and has ANY basis in truth, there's a HUGE difference between reported crime (what the government whats you to know) and actual crime. Tourist destinations, particularly small islands, are loathe to report honest numbers, much like universities in the USA (which are notorious for under-reporting campus crime). Ya think Finland has a higher crime rate than St. Maarten?? Naivete is one thing, but blatant stupidity is another. It's a wonder the Puckman has the ability to get out of bed in the morning.

(Oh, and where's South Africa on the nifty little list? And Columbia?? Oh, that's right, Canada has higher crime rates than both of them. Yeah, right!!)

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
Jeremy

". It's a wonder the Puckman has the ability to get out of bed in the morning. "
That was the worst post

i have ever red in my life.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:09 AM
Yvette

Strong comeback, Puckface. How about having the guts to respond? What about Columbia & South Africa? Have you ever picked up a newspaper, or are you too busy trolling around the internet 24/7? You are a LOSER. GET A LIFE!!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:20 AM
JMM

2 comments re: people who obviously have no understanding of statistics:
1. top 10 international crime rates should read "REPORTED" crime
2. What kind of "crime" are we talking about here. I have no doubt that Canada, new Zealand,Sweden etc may indeed have a higher rate of unpaid parking tickets than the U.S. or Columbia. But Canada, New Zealand and Sweden defintely have considerably lower murder rates pre capita than the U.S. or Columbia. (I got that bit of info from a friend who has done some research in international crime rates and who by the way laughed for about 5 minutes when I read off the list from jeremy. His comment was that only Rwanda belonged in the list.)

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Jim

To melissa a/k/a yeah, your speech is straight out of a gutter. Before making a spectacle of yourself, try educating yourself so others will at least listen. Many canadians are rash, vulgar and uneducated in my opinion.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:29 PM
Jean

Jim says: "Many canadians are rash, vulgar and uneducated in my opinion" I have one comment to make: SOME americans are rash,vulger and uneducated in my opinion. Jim just has better spelling and grammar than Melissa.
Please note: I said SOME not MANY because unlike Jim and Melissa, I have sufficient good manners not to make rude generalizaions about other countries.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:31 PM
Jean

Correction: generalizations

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:41 PM
kelly

The figures given for the Top Ten International Crime Rates is totally not true. I am not sure where this Russell gets his figures, but they are not from the Department of Justice. And just because he found this list online does not make it accurate. Puckman has lots of nerve with this one!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:56 PM
Jeremy

Oh get a life. I just posted this to piss you guys off. I saw it on some other board. I dont care whhat it says.

Who the hell are u Yzvette.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:57 PM
Jeremy

"Strong comeback, Puckface. How about having the guts to respond? What about Columbia & South Africa? Have you ever picked up a newspaper, or are you too busy trolling around the internet 24/7? You are a LOSER. GET A LIFE!!"

Awww, are you crying. Maybe you need the life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO