Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   crime in St Thomas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/crime-in-st-thomas-48806/)

TL Jul 17th, 1999 10:26 AM

crime in St Thomas?

Someone ask my opinion of St Thomas vs Cancun, since I had been to St Thomas and a relative to Cancun. That relative hated Mexico...couldn't leave the resort area. I LOVED St Thomas (stayed at Frenchmen's Reef both times). This person heard of incredible crime in the Virgin Islands (thefts on beaches and in rooms, rapes in hotels, assaults, etc) and were told St Thomas was by far the worst. I am shocked....does anyone know if this is true? We have children now and have been waiting impatiently for them to be old enough to travel there...

Kerry Jul 17th, 1999 11:41 AM

TL: <BR>I visited St.Thomas in Feb.99 and had lived there briefly in the past. You have to be careful, just like anywhere else. The hotel will advise you regarding places to visit and had even recommended us taking a taxi to certain restaurants instead of driving our rental car. <BR>We did some touring and found most people to be extremely friendly and helpful. I have felt more threatened in countries like St. Lucia and the Bahamas, where locals are not friendly. <BR> <BR>You should enjoy your stay at the Marriott. It is definately a first rate hotel.

Lisa Jul 19th, 1999 06:25 AM

I just returned from a trip to St. Thomas. July 1999. I found that the Islanders were friendly and I felt completely safe.

Karen Jul 21st, 1999 05:44 PM

Old news ... sure there is crime on St. Thomas. There is crime in NYC, Washington DC and Boston too but that doesn't stop the tourists! Been traveling to STT three to four times yearly for 20 some years (maybe even more, but who is counting?) and have never had a problem nor know anyone who has. Use your head and common sense, don't leave valuable out in the open in your room or car, don't flash money and jewelry, simple things we do at home all the time. Several years ago, there was a big successful effort to control crime on both STT and STJ as the hurricanes had devistated the area and the drug trafficing increased signifigantly! Each year, since then, I find myself returning to the former "comfort level."

kimk Jul 28th, 1999 04:43 PM

We have just returned from St. Thomas with our two children. We felt comfortable traveling around the island <BR>and all of the cab drivers were very polite. The only grey area was being <BR>in the city at night and I did not like <BR>Coki Beach. Too many people just hanging around trying to sell you anything. The cab drivers are very protective of you. I would never rent a car and take any chances of being in an accident they way the people drive. <BR>Frenchman's Reef was just excellent and very close to many resturants througout the city. Best places to eat Virgillios, Lindys, Room with a view. <BR>Dont even bother with the Hard Rock Cafe- food not good.