Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Crime in St. Thomas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/crime-in-st-thomas-37717/)

Carl Jan 31st, 1999 10:46 AM

Crime in St. Thomas

I'm taking the family to St. Thomas for a vacation. From what I read here, it is not the greatest island, but it is the only place we could go. What I would like to know, is, what is the reality about crime there? Is it only a problem at night. (We won't be going out at night). Also, we are renting a private home. If we just stay there, will this vacation be okay. We just want to hang out at the beach and relax. Do you think it will be fine if this is all we want out of our vacation? I'd love to hear from anyone out there who has been there. Positive and negative opinions are welcome. Thanks.

B Hatcher Feb 1st, 1999 06:53 PM

I took our family to St thomas in April of 1997 and we didn't experience any problems there. One evening we got lost in our van and ended up in a bad neighborhood, but got out of there without a problem. Really liked Megan's beach. Rented a motor boat one day and went to a few islands, which was a lot of fun. There are good books out on St. Thomas that give advice on restaurants (but we liked Hard Rock the best...go figure)There IS a lot of poverty there. <BR>A day trip to St. John might be fun. We ran out of time, but I would have done that if we had another day. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

stephanie Feb 1st, 1999 07:12 PM

We stayed in a private home overlooking Magens Bay with our 1 1/2 yr. old and other families including a 2 1/2 yr. old and 8 mo. old. We ventured out from there many times including several times right in the heart of the downtown area and into locals neighborhood stores and never felt unsafe. This was in Feb. 1997. I think it's like anywhere in the world - you just need to use common sense and be smart, aware of your surroundings, if something looks unsafe don't go there. I've been to St. Thomas 2x and love it despite what everyone else says. Enjoy it - The virgin islands in general are so pretty - you can see the other mountainous islands from high vantage points.

Joel Feb 2nd, 1999 01:20 AM

Carl, I've been to St. Thomas a number of times over the years, either for short visits or major stays. I proposed to my wife there and, 2 year later, married her there. <BR>The last time I was there on a vacation we were at a very nice resort. A burglar broke into our room while we were asleep. Luckily, we woke up and chased him out of the room before he could steal anything. <BR>The next time I considered a vacation in the Caribbean I took crime into consideration as well as the awful amount of land development that has gone on in the USVI. We chose the British Virgin Islands which are nearby. That was five years ago and we were so impressed by the BVI's friendliness, honest, and relaxed attitude that we've been back every year since and will go again this year. <BR>

Martin St. Louis Feb 2nd, 1999 02:38 AM

<BR>Hello!! <BR> <BR>I've just visited St. Thomas recently with my wife and our 3 year old. I must say it wasn't our best vacation. We couldn't help but feel uncomfortable many times, something we thought would pass as we got more used to the area/land/people. The crime...sigh. Unfortunately, I did have an experience where I was robben by a native, young boy, at knife point but a local (thank God) scared him away. Things weren't pleasant after this. The scenery was good, and many people were friendly, but, I wouldn't go there again. I can't say not to go there cause you should experience it for yourself. Good luck!!