Notices

Crime in St. Lucia

Old May 13th, 1999, 07:32 PM
Susan

Crime in St. Lucia

While planning my honeymoon to St. Lucia, I came accross an article on the internet (published this week) by St. Lucia's local newspaper. It's an investigative article on the recent increase in crime on the island, and cites many crimes in the past three months. This includes the murder of a Canadian tourist a month ago and other physical assaults on tourists. I know there is crime everywhere, but this is concerning, especially since we want to do a lot exploring around the island. Has anyone else heard of this crime increase or had any experiences that might help me make the decision to go or not to go to St. Lucia? Please note that I am not trying to be paranoid--I backpacked around the world by myself a few years ago and am familiar with tourist precautions, but I have different standards for my honeymoon, mainly safety and relaxation. Thanks!!!!

Old May 17th, 1999, 09:04 PM
Peggy

My brother's family rented a two story house in Marigot bay about a year ago. The first night someone broke in downstairs and stole a few things. My brother woke up which interrupted the action, gathered up the family and left. They were able stay at the Wyndham but were unimpressed with this resort.

On a good note, my husband & I stayed at the Sandals about 4 years ago and had a great time.

Wish you well on your voyage.

Old May 18th, 1999, 10:23 AM
Jan

Susan, We stayed at the Windjammer in April this year. We talked to several taxi driver's and hotel personnel about safety on the island and they all said it was safe but not to wonder off alone etc. Just use caution and stay on the beaten path. The locals were friendly and helpful. We did not hear anything about crime being on the increase while we were there. We had a great time.

Old May 18th, 1999, 04:08 PM
Jeff

We just got back from a week in St. Lucia on Sunday. We had a great time and no trouble at all. Lots of young guys want to offer services as guides, etc. A firm no seemed to turn them back when we weren't looking for their help. We found the more remote southern portion of the island most appealing. Stonefield Estates, Jalousie and Ladera were all beautiful places. Enjoy!

Old May 18th, 1999, 04:09 PM
Jeff

We just got back from a week in St. Lucia on Sunday. We had a great time and no trouble at all. Lots of young guys want to offer services as guides, etc. A firm no seemed to turn them back when we weren't looking for their help. We found the more remote southern portion of the island most appealing. Stonefield Estates, Jalousie and Ladera were all beautiful places. Enjoy!

Old May 23rd, 1999, 07:51 AM
Anna

I visited St. Lucia in March with my husband, we had a great time and no problems with crime. We didn't go to the Jump Up that's held on Friday nights in Gros Islet, but we talked to people who did go and some really liked it while others did not feel safe (women traveling alone).