Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Crime and Safety in Jamaica (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/crime-and-safety-in-jamaica-881656/)

travelworm Mar 12th, 2011 09:47 AM

Crime and Safety in Jamaica

Our cruise in April is stopping in Falmouth, Jamaica. I'm interested in taking a shore excursion to Dunn's River Falls and Ocho Rios. My husband is concerned about crime and safety in Jamaica. Has anyone gone on a similar shore excursion? Did you feel safe?

sharie Mar 12th, 2011 11:12 AM

We stayed in Montego Bay and did Dunn's River falls, ATVing and horseback riding. There were a lot of locals and tourists at Dunn's River. Some Jamacain men are aggressive (not afraid to look you up and down and lick their chops while you have a man right next to you). Stick with your husband, ignore them and you'll be fine. ;) Also, dont keep money or keys in your pockets while you go up the falls. The current can grab them away.

suze Mar 13th, 2011 07:44 AM

I think you would be just fine doing an excursion from a cruise ship in Jamaica.

I only know Negril, and coming thru the Montego Bay airport upon arrival, and yes it can feel a bit 'rough and tumble' in Jamaica. And vendors/locals can come on a bit pushy. You do need to keep your wits about you, not go off with strangers or put yourself in questionable situations. But I don't think any of that would apply doing a tour off a cruiseship.

KVR Mar 13th, 2011 09:53 AM

I think the vendors in Ocho Rios are more pushy and agressive with cruise ship passengers than people doing a land vacation. Many unaware cruise shippers think they can just walk off the ship and take a taxi to Dunn's River Falls, which they can, but those people are the ones who get the most harrassment. If you go with a independant tour operator or the cruise ship tour they tend to be able to shelter you from some of that.

On our cruise in 2007, the Captian refused to stop in Ocho Rios as scheduled and we ended up with another sea day on our way to Grand Cayman. We had every intention of getting off the ship and doing a tour with a local operator that we pre-booked with. Luckily they are aware that sometimes the cruise ships don't stop and they don't charge until you are actually there.

I would suggest that you read the Ports of Call forum on Cruise Critic. You'll read the good, the bad and the ugly from a varity of posters. I felt that most of the complaints came from people trying to see Ocho Rios on their own. Personally, I would suggest if you do get off the ship for sightseeing, go with a reputable tour operator or the the ship's tour and just be opened minded and prepared for what you may encounter. Don't carry around lots of money or flash anything and don't make eye contact with the locals unless you want them to sell you something. A very kind and pleasant "No thank you" and walk away should be sufficient.

We have done a land vacation in Negril and didn't not experience any issues. However, we researched Jamaica for 5 years before going and knew exactly what we were getting into. That makes a difference.

Compared to our one trip to Jamaica and our 11 trips to Mexico. I was harrassed mored in Puerta Vallarta than any other destination to the point I would not go back there. To each there own based on their personal experience.

wlzmatilida Mar 15th, 2011 05:55 PM

Hello Everyone!

Travelworm, tell your husband not to be concerned.

Sharie, I agree, some men ARE aggressive, but here's the thing that most tourists don't know - there's a whole bunch of women out there that go to Jamaica to be with black men. Seriously. It's that..."I've been curious, but could never do this at home" thing. The locals now know this, and are happy to oblige. The problem is, they can't tell who and who isn't really interested. Once you've made that clear, they'll back off.

If you're in a market and everyone's trying to get your attention = just hold up your palms and say "no money Mon" and they'll back off.

Suze (and everyone else) you have to understand where you're travelling to - this IS a Third World Country, and times are hard. All the locals know EXACTLY when the cruise ships are coming into port and since everyone else is pretty much selling the same crap...er...I MEAN...GOODS, they're trying to get your attention by whatever way they can. They're just trying to make a living.

KVR's hit the nail on the head - when you stay for a week or more, vs. a cruise ship passenger, things are very different. I mean, they only have X amount of time to get those cruise ship passengers.

I've been to Jamaica a number of times, and I love it. I think it's one of those places where people have no middle ground - they either love it or they hate it; unfortunately, because the cruise ship passengers feel so hassled, most of them hate it. This is too bad, because it's a wonderful place with beautiful people.

My advice to you is to NOT take the cruise line's excursion. It's overpriced and you'll never get a tour like you will with a local. Why help the cruise line's income when you can help a local person who really needs the money?

I say this as a traveller, and a travel agent. I've been there at least 9 times; many times as a single woman, and I've never felt threatened - you just need to understand the mind set of where you're going.

When you get off the ship, there will be a sea of guys at the dock. Look them over and pick someone who appeals to you. Tell him where you want to go, how many in your party and ask him to quote a price. Want to learn about the REAL Jamaica, not the cruise line version? Tell him you want him to take you to HIS favorite jerk restaurant for lunch. I guarantee you'll have the most amazing experience!

Want to make it even better? As I said before, this is a Third World Country - bring something from home - a dishtowel, a baseball cap, some books for kids - these are things the locals love and you'll have a wonderful experience and know the country 100% than your fellow cruise ship passengers that went on that cookie cutter excursion!

Hope this is helpful!

Melodie

nyja44 Mar 15th, 2011 07:47 PM

I am Jamaican and I can attest to much of what others are posting on here. If you stick with your husband to the tourist areas then you have nothing to fear! You will be fine if you just keep in mind that you are in a developing country so you have to keep your wits about you. With your husband you will be fine. I hope you enjoy your trip!

qwovadis Mar 16th, 2011 04:18 AM

Have done this overall safe if careful.

Leave valuables in a safe place

waterproof money belt if you must carry anything of value

with you

the falls are tonnes of fun to climb

just do not wander off alone in dodgy areas.

travel.state.gov for advisories insuremytrip.com

always cheap wise.

JeanH Mar 16th, 2011 05:36 AM

I'm one of those who are in the middle. Went to Negril, had a great time. No real desire to go back soon though. Did I like it? Yes. Did I love it? No.

suze Mar 16th, 2011 07:27 AM

Melodie, Thanks for the lecture but I understand perfectly well that times are hard in Jamaica and that it is a "third world" country.

But this person's question was simply is it safe to come in off a cruiseship and take a guided shore excursion. And the answer to that is YES.

Weadles Mar 16th, 2011 09:02 AM

No doubt you'll get a much cheaper and more authentic trip if you go with a local, but here's the problem... some of the locals may not have car insurance and a small handful of them may not take you where you want to go. I say this as someone who loves Jamaica, and has visited too many times to count over a 30-year span.

FrankS Mar 16th, 2011 09:20 AM

Narcotic sales to tourists is a big business in the resort areas, dealers use eye contact to initiate an offer as they cant display their goods openly. Its more bothersome than dangerous.
Caveat- Im speaking of resort areas, places such as Kingston are just plain dangerous

suze Mar 16th, 2011 09:58 AM

Ganja is not a "narcotic". No one is talking about going to Kingston.

FrankS Mar 16th, 2011 10:18 AM

Suze,
I brought up Kingston because in the future someone might do a search and falsely believe these answers apply to all of Jamaica per the OP tile.

Ganja by definition
Ganja - Any plant of the genus Cannabis; a coarse bushy annual with palmate leaves and clusters of small green flowers; yields tough fibers and narcotic drugs
http://www.glossary.com/dictionary.php?q=Ganja