Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen Beaches -- On My Own?

Sep 24th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen Beaches -- On My Own?

I'll have cruise stops in Cozumel and PDC. I'm hoping to find beautiful QUIET (no wave runners or loud music) beaches. Is it possible to get to any of these easily? I'd rather avoid the ship's excursions.
Sep 25th, 2005, 03:54 AM

Aren't you smart?! Those excursions are such a rip off, and they crowd a zillion people onto the boats.

On Cozumel, the influx of cruise ships has gotten so overwhelming it is not as easy as it used to be to find a quiet beach, but here are a couple of suggestions...

Rent a car or get a taxi (they are cheap) and go to Playa Palancar for the day. Quiet and has a beach bar with good food and cold drinks and shade palapas.

Also a good choice is the beach in front of the restaurant Mezcalito's on the other side of the island. The food there is SUPER, the beach is quiet, and not a lot of people. (Be aware though if you're not a fan of nudity. It's affectionately called "Naked Beach" and there is usually some toplessness.)

Another choice would be the beach in front of the restaurant Chen Rio on the other side of the island. Nice beach, decent restaurant - but their prices are way too high for what you get.

Also, on the other side of the island, if you do not require facilities, there are long stretches of wild, gorgeous beach that you can set up on and you will be the ONLY one there... BUT, be very careful as the swimming on that side can be dangerous.

In Playa, I don't know if they will be letting you off at the new dock south of town or tendering you in to PDC, but that will make a difference in where you should go.

If they let you off in PDC, you can get a taxi to Coco Beach, which is further North and has a very nice snorkeling reef. In PDC, away from town you can always find a quiet spot.

If they let you off south of town at the new pier, get a taxi to Puerto Morelos, Akumal or Tulum. All have nice beaches, are more quiet, and have funky little beach bars/restaurants. Akumal and PM have great reef snorkeling, and Tulum has cenotes to snorkel (fun for a change.)

Have fun!
Sep 25th, 2005, 05:08 AM

Not the OP but this is great info Diana. Thanks!
Sep 25th, 2005, 01:13 PM

You're most welcome! gt;

Search this Thread