Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Couples Swept Away Negril - A few questions for someone who has been there... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/couples-swept-away-negril-a-few-questions-for-someone-who-has-been-there-367302/)

BlueDevil98 Jan 9th, 2004 10:19 AM

Couples Swept Away Negril - A few questions for someone who has been there...

1) I have noticed in a few reviews that people mention the couples they ate with. Are you ever forced to share tables at meals, or can you always eat along with your significant other if you prefer?

2) What do people generally wear in the main dining room for dinner? At feathers, can a man wear a short sleeved shirt with a collar or are long sleeves required?

3) In the spa, can you charge tips to the room or do I need to carry cash?

4) Is dinner in the main dining room a buffet?

5) Any idea what construction is going on now?

6) What is the situation for getting lounge chairs in the morning? Do you have to wake up early to get good seats or are plenty available?

7) I've seen some reviews from a year ago saying the beach was eroding away -- how is the beach now?

atticus Jan 9th, 2004 11:04 AM

We honeymooned at Swept Away in May 2002.
-you can eat with other couples, but we always had a table to ourselves, regardless of the restaurant

-Casual is the fashion. Shorts in the dining hall. Slacks and closed toe shoes for men at Feathers. Short sleeves always acceptable.

-I am not sure of the tip situatin at the spa. There is a no tipping policy at the resort. Not sure if it applies to the spa.

-Generally, yes. There was one or two eveing meal where it was not a buffet, as I recall

-Have heard/read that the construction is not bothersome and away from the main part of the resort. Haven't seen any complaints. There are adding additional room blcks and a restaurant, I believe.

-Never had a problem with the lounge chair situation. The beach and chair situation was fantastic!

-Prior to our trip, I heard the same thing as supposedly the hurricane they suffered the previous November had "eroded the beach". That may have been the case, but the beach we found was gorgeous and plenty wide and beautiful. Can't imagine why one would want a bigger beach. Loved it.

BlueDevil98 Jan 10th, 2004 11:07 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience. I can't wait to go!

cartera45 Jan 12th, 2004 05:28 PM

Walked by there in April 2003 because I had stayed there years ago. Beach as beautiful as ever - I didn't notice any erosion. No problem with lounge chairs. The beach is so beautiful, the pool was never crowded - I don't think I ever got in it - except at night. Dinner is casual but we never wore shorts. You can get a table alone any night. By the end of the week, we had met some really nice people who we wanted to have our last dinner with. We arranged for a big table to be set up for about 6 couples. Buffet for dinner 2 nights. Book Feathers for those if you don't want them. Book Feathers as soon as get there just to be sure.

BlueDevil98 Jan 29th, 2004 05:46 PM

I just got back and had a great time -- I thought I ought to answer my own questions for the sake of anyone else going to Swept Away.

1) We were able to eat by ourselves every meal that we wanted to.

2) In the main dining room there was a range of clothing including khaki shorts, although most wore pants. At feathers pants were the rile, but short sleeved polo shirts were common.

3) Tips at the spa must be paid in cash.

4) Dinner in the main dining room was a Buffet on Monday and Friday. Friday's was served on the beach and should not be missed -- it was all Jamaican food with great live music, what a great experience! (Although we should have left before the limbo!)

5) The construction is on the new suites, and is separate from the existing rooms. We noticed it only when walking along the beach past the resort area.

6) We found plenty of lounge chairs available and no need to wake up early to get our desired spot.

7) The beach was gorgeous. I can't compare to the past though since this was my first visit.

I hope this helps someone!

atticus Jan 29th, 2004 07:27 PM

Hey, thanks for coming back and reporting. Did you really like your stay or was it just "OK"?

mgibson Jan 30th, 2004 06:31 PM

Thanks bluedevil98 !!! we are going march for our 10 anniversary and your report sounds great!