Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Couples Negril Resort (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/couples-negril-resort-96436/)

Ann Dec 13th, 2000 08:51 AM

Couples Negril Resort

I just booked an all-inclusive to the Couples Negril for myself and my fiance. We didn't have a lot of options and chose it based on availability, price, and the beach looks awesome. Now that's it booked I am not hearing great things about Jamaica, but hope that this resort is ok and that Negril doesn't quite have the rap that the rest of Jamaica seems to have. Anyone out there been to this resort or Negril in general?

Gilda Dec 13th, 2000 09:33 AM

Ann: You best best is to do a search here at Fodors on Negril and/or Jamaica. There's a lot of stuff to read!

Gilda Dec 13th, 2000 09:34 AM

Ann: Sorry for the typos! It's "your best bet"!

Ann Dec 13th, 2000 10:41 AM

Thanks for the info, I tried that the first time around but must have just looked at Jamaica in general. This time I found a ton on Negril and the Couples resort as well!

Will Dec 13th, 2000 11:12 AM

Jamaica struggles with the same problems (crime, poverty, etc.) that all developing countries do. However, it is culturally rich and has many proud, interesting and fun people. Go with an open mind and I'm sure you'll have a good time. <BR> <BR>Couples is a terrific resort. In addition to the info you find here on Foder's, check out the trip archives at www.caribtravelnews.com/ctr_7.htm. Go there, select search and enter "Couples". Lots of useful info. <BR> <BR>You may also want to check out the message boarch at www.negril.com. <BR>

D Dec 15th, 2000 11:43 AM

Couples Negril is a great resort. We have been there twice and are returning in March 2001. The beach is terriffic. Negril in general is an interesting area. Don't let the negative comments about Jamaica scare you. It is a great country and like any other does have some crime problems. Be careful and use common sense as you would any where else.

Kim Dec 15th, 2000 02:59 PM

We were in Negril in Feb of 99 And loved it we plan on going back nx Feb. Just have a little common sence just like anyplace and you will be fine, we never had a problem. And yes the beach is awsome!!! Sunset too!!!

JulieD Dec 15th, 2000 03:46 PM

Hi, Ann. I haven't stayed at couples but have stayed at Grand Lido Negril. They are both on Bloody Bay which is a truly lovely beach.

jennifer Dec 17th, 2000 02:47 PM

Dear ann, how I envy you as dig myself of 20 inches of snow!!!! We just got back 12/3 from couples negril, it was awesome. It was the best resort we have ever stayed at and we have been traveling for 10 years. We also heard bad things re jamaica (my husband told me he did not want to go to jamaica because of what he read) however, we found such a good deal at couples and I booked it anyway. My husband loved jamaica, and never had a problem. We have been to many islands and countries, and I cannot understand why Jamaica has such a bad rap. Every country has there problems, including the u.s. Just use your head and dont take risks. The food was excellant, the staff was supurb! Sign up for scuba, catamaran and snorkeling early. You will not be disappointed. jennifer

Angela Dec 19th, 2000 06:17 AM

I am leaving for Couples Negril on Christmas Eve. Can't wait to get out of the cold. My boyfriend and I were in Runaway Bay in June and thought it was beautiful. Didn't want to leave. And we believe Negril will be even better. How was the snorkeling and diving in Negril? Can't wait to see the beach.