Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Could you please help me find a company to book trip to Punta Canta **NOT Vacation Express**

Could you please help me find a company to book trip to Punta Canta **NOT Vacation Express**

Jul 16th, 2002, 11:43 AM
April

I am interested in booking a trip to Punta Cana. I want to book air,transfers, hotel all together. I have frequently used Vacation Express but after today, NEVER AGAIN!!. Their advertised price on their site was over 900 less than the price they quoted me over the phone, beyond that the girl was the most rude person I have ever spoken to on the phone. She wasn't even familiar with the web site of the company she worked for. Any ideas of oter companies offering this package deal, I live in North Carolina, Thanks

Jul 16th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Bud

April, You will find that most of the travel agencies are interested in one thing. Their commission!! Take my advice and find a one or two person travel agency operation. They, usually, will custom fit a vacation to your specifications. The larger agencies are not interested in that. They make money in bulk purchases, not custom vacations. I, personally, have found many less-than-stellar reports on the Dominican Republic resorts, including Punta Cana. I would look elsewhere unless you have personal good experience with a resort. Drop me a email and I will send you my research.

Jul 16th, 2002, 12:56 PM
paula

Try vactionoutlet.com.............

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Susan

April: try GWV Travel. They have a website www.gwvtravel.com We have used them twice for Anguilla and Turks & Caicos. We never had any problems. Good luck

Jul 16th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Gary

Try Travel Unnlimited http://www.travelunlimited.com or 1-800-228-1502 we booked our trip to Punta Cana through them and had no problems.

Jul 16th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Diane

I just had to write about "Bud's" comments about the DR. We had a large group there (Punta Cana) two years ago and it was the absolute BEST beach vacation we've had and most of our group felt that it was exceptional value as well. If you want resort reviews, try:
www.debbiesdominicantravel.com
Almost every review of the Punta Cana resorts is extremely positive and bad comments have to do mainly with the hotel, not the area. What I always say is try it first before you decide you don't like something....including a vacation destination!! Anyway...enjoy Punta Cana...our large group is heading back there this Xmas with a few additions to the group!! Personally, if I had a bunch of money, I'd invest in land along the Punta Cana coastline because it's so extremely beautiful!!!

Jul 16th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Bud

Sounds like Diane is one of those travel agents who take groups to certain resorts. Did she make a commission on this? I wonder how many other islands she has been to? To make any comparison, you have to travel to many different places. I have seen many negative postings on different BBs on the "bad attitude" and "poor service" at many of these resorts in the DR. Many have vowed not to return. Not to mention the language barrier. Just make sure you do your homework before laying down your hard-earned cash!!

Jul 16th, 2002, 04:51 PM
nina

Oh gosh, not a language barrier! Oh my, I just can't stand to travel to places where people don't speak English. I think everyone should speck English to make life easier for me. I hate any type of cultural differences when travelling.

Bud, I've traveled all over the world, including just about all of the caribbean islands. I am not a travel agent. I agree with Diane. The beaches are world class, especially Bavaro, where we were, and a heck of a lot nicer than beaches in Puerto Rico, Antigua, Barbados, Jamaica and St. Martin. Everyone in our group had a fantastic vacation.

You don't say when and where you visited in the DR. Perhaps that's because you've never been.

Let's also not forget the great prices, European flavor and very friendly people in the DR. I'll definitely go back.

Oh, April, I almost forgot, we used travelbyjen.com. We used them to trips to Punta Cana in March and June. They have great prices. See, we liked it so much we went twice in 3 months!

Jul 17th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Dave

check out <applevacations.com>

Jul 17th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Parrot Mom

Another vote for Punta Cana.. we went to the Catalonia Bavaro and loved it.. yes, we went through vacation outlet and used GWV..

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:33 AM
anon

If I want European flavor, I'll go to Europe. I certainly don't consider a Carribean island with a lot of European flavor a plus. This goes the same for islands with a lot of American flavor.

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:02 AM
anons

Duh Anon, the European flavor comes from the large percentage of European tourists, which I find refreshing, unlike other islands which attract mostly Americans. This of course is an addition to the Dominican flavor of the island. So tell me, what is the cultural makeup of the other islands you visit in the caribbean? I'm dying to hear this one...