Costs for food & drinks in Anguilla

Feb 9th, 2002, 02:51 PM
SuZanne

Costs for food & drinks in Anguilla

We are planning to go to Cap Juluca in May. We love to dine out and have cocktails on the beach. Could someone give me a true idea of what we should budget for lunches, dinners and drinks? What is the cost of a glass of wine? a bottle? My boyfriend drinks single malt scotch, do they even have that in Anguilla? What would a scotch & water cost? We are thinking that for food only we would budget $50.00 per person. Is that enough? Please advise!

Feb 10th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Bill

I can tell you from my own experience. I travel to St. Kitts often and budget $50.00pp each day. That is because we will eat out every other day or so and will have money left over. Your own booze,soda and beer in the room helps also. If you don't like to cook then I would figure on $100.00 each day and you will most likely have change.

Feb 10th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Ashley

I'm looking at Cap J. also-- And I would certainly budget $200 total per day. I've read that $100 dinners are the norm on the island and that doesn't account for drinks. Been to St. Barts and St. Lucia, and we always budget $200-300 per day incl. activities, and that's been about right (plenty).

Feb 11th, 2002, 06:03 AM
sharona

Hi SuZanne. Expect to pay big city prices for food in Anguilla. If you plan on 3 meals a day I think $50 per person is too low. My husband and I also enjoy dining out and I don't believe we ever paid less than $150 for dinner, and it was often more with a nice bottle of wine. But there are some bargains to be had if you're willing to look. Uncle Ernie's at Shoal Bay has great ribs and chicken for lunch for less than $10 and Tasty's is a wonderful breakfast or lunch spot at very affordable prices. But the dinners at the top restaurants will easily break your budget. Plan on a little more just to be safe.

Feb 12th, 2002, 06:09 AM
some1jealous

nice response - helpful too. obviously not one who knows much about anything since rodney didn't get past the 4th grade since that's the language they use. put your papers in plastic bags, Rodney, it'll cut into your profits but maybe you can forget the Fruit Loops and poptarts some mornings.

Feb 12th, 2002, 09:59 AM
What?

To the last posting... wha? You might want to check your grammer as well. Who is Rodney? There is no posting from anyone named Rodney. Very strange.

Feb 12th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Fodor's

To Wondering, there used to be a rude reply from someone (I guess Rodney), and it appears to have been deleted, thats why the next post appears to have no meaning, but it did at one time I suppose.

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:51 PM
mike

Just returned from CJ. I would figure on about $50-60/day for lunch at Georges. The food is quite good (superb burgers) with sandwiches, wraps, salads mostly in the $12-18 range. Beer was $3-4 with drinks/wine $7-10. Our dinners ranged from $70-90 at Tasty's(local spot, excellent fish), Tratorria T (northern Italian) up to $125 at Malliouhanawithout any wine. These figures don't include cab fare ($25 roundtrip). By the way, the beach and at rooms CJ are superb-enjoy!

Feb 14th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Bob

Been to Anguilla twice. Food and liquor are expensive, but worth it. Most restuarants have great wine selections. You may want to rent a car to save money on cab rides. Cap is truly amazing!!! At the better restaurants lunch can be $50; Scilly Cay is about $150 for lunch; dinners are easily $125 and higher depending on what you drink. There are very good restaurants - Ripple,s & E's Oven - that are not as pricey and still very good.

Feb 15th, 2002, 08:21 AM
SuZanne

Thanks to everyone for your help! But, I have a couple more questions. One night we would like to have dinner on the beach, any suggestions for some place great? What's everyone's favorites? Also, we were thinking about maybe a deep sea fishing trip, do you think it is worth it? I booked my airline reservations but was not able arrive Anguilla before 10:08pm, is that normal? I'm leaving from Dallas, TX. Thanks again for being so helpful!

Feb 15th, 2002, 09:02 AM
gab

All of the dining we did was right on the water, and I can recommend each of the places: Straw Hat, Altamer, Mango's, Scilly Cay, plus all the restaurants at CJ.

Of these, The Straw Hat was probably my favorite for it's more relaxed setting. Altamer was also excellent, but the most expensive of any of the places; the dining room is quite beautiful.

Feb 15th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Ilene

If you can afford to stay at Cap Juluca you should not be worried about a budget. Whatever you spend on the island, it is worth it. Just take out a credit card and don't think about the cost. (breakfast included at CJ)Our favorite was Pimms at CJ on the water. Liked Straw Hat (on the water also) but got lost even with the best directions. Malliouhana not worth it, would rather eat at Pimms again. Don't miss Blanchard's, extremely charming and great food. Have a great time. One of the best places we have ever stayed. Be sure to explore the island. Rent a car.

Feb 15th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Ilene

If you can afford to stay at Cap Juluca you should not be worried about a budget. Whatever you spend on the island, it is worth it. Just take out a credit card and don't think about the cost. (breakfast included at CJ)Our favorite was Pimms at CJ on the water. Liked Straw Hat (on the water also) but got lost even with the best directions. Malliouhana not worth it, would rather eat at Pimms again. Don't miss Blanchard's, extremely charming and great food. Have a great time. One of the best places we have ever stayed. Be sure to explore the island. Rent a car.

Mar 1st, 2002, 08:18 AM
linda

Just curious--haven't been to Anguilla since 1998 and no one has mentioned our two favorite restaurants at the time---Cove Castles and Koal Keel (sp?)---do they still exist???

Mar 1st, 2002, 09:24 AM
penny

Linda-I am sorry to say that Koal Keel has closed. They were closed for a almost a year post hurricane Lenny, reopened Nov. 2000 and now shut their restaurant. I understand it will be opened for weddings, etc. The good news is CoveCastles is open! We had two marvelous dinners last March. There is a new restaurant called Altmer, right on the water, not far from CoveCastles.

Mar 28th, 2002, 08:48 PM
atm

Bring lots of cash,because you'll need it.Fax a copy of your w2 to Cap and then figure about 10% of your anual income for food and drink.This should cover atleast the first night.

Mar 29th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Pam

Suzanne, I haven't been to Anguilla, but I wanted to tell you I just read a fun book by the couple who own Blanchards, it's called a Trip to the Beach and it's an account of the opening and running of the restaurant there. It's a really fun read and will get you so excited for your trip. Anguilla sounds so gorgeous. You will also understand why everything is so expensive after you read the book. The cost of importing all that food is outrageous.

Mar 29th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Islander

Do not mistake Blanchard's book for reality. Anguilla can be done on a moderate budget also. Blanchard's have lots of hype but many don't think that their fusion fare lives up to the prices. Much better places to try. Straw Hat for one right on the water.

Mar 29th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Statia

SuZanne:

Are you sure you are on the very first flight from DFW to SJU (assuming you go that route) that day? I frequently fly Houston to St. Maarten and depart at 6:30 a.m., arriving St. Maarten by 2 p.m. with a connection in Miami.

Might want to see if there is an earlier flight because I would think you could arrive Anguilla earlier than 10 p.m.

Apr 6th, 2002, 08:37 AM
RaggedyAnn

Hey, if you can afford to go to Cap Juluca...why are you worrying about the cost of food and drink? DUH!
rann

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO