Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Cost of eating on St John.. (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cost-of-eating-on-st-john-523290/)

christiegr Apr 22nd, 2005 07:52 AM

Cost of eating on St John..

How much would a family of 3 adults,3 kids ages 10,7 and 2 look to spend for dinner in St John per night for a week?

Breakfast will be at the villa and lunch will be sandwiches in a cooler as we will be checking out the island all day.We plan to take some perishables (crackers,canned goods,ramen noodles,laundry det. etc.)
Thanks in advance for all who respond.

zachsarbean1 Apr 22nd, 2005 08:31 AM

It can really range depending on where you go. If you go someplace like ZoZo's at Gallow's Point you'll probably spend around $150...but if you go alittle more low key and try something like Mongoose Junction Restaurant, you'll probably keep it under $100. My husband and I usually do the same as you with eating in for breakfast and lunch and go out for dinner. I usually figure about $700 for the week for food (but that's for 2 adults). Try Cafe Roma one night....its a tiny little pizza place, but you can get some good italien cuisine too. It's fairly inexpensive in comparison if you want to take it easy one night. Another way to do that is to try Uncle Joe's BBQ, a local hole-in-the-wall that has BBQ that is to die for! It is always the first place my husband wants to eat at when we get to the island....that is a great dinner to take back to the villa! There are a few up-scale restaurants like Aesolare and Chateaux Bordeaux, but with kids, I would assume you'll be staying away from those??? Also keep in mind that buying food at the local grocery store can get pricey, so it is a very good idea, as you mentioned, to bring your own stuff. We bring a cooler of food. You might also try Cinnamon Bay for a great beach with a nice little snack area where you can get burgers, chicken fingers, etc for lunch. Have fun!

christiegr Apr 22nd, 2005 09:46 AM

thanks zachsarbean1 for the info.We are going with the kids and my mom..she will babysit at night so we can explore own our own a little..which is nice.We are paying her way since she agreed to babysit.

I would like to go to Asolare(spelling??)it has been highly recommended..not sure if we should go with the kids or make it a later dinner for just my husband and me.Anyways,thanks again.

tamryn Apr 22nd, 2005 01:28 PM

Highly recommend Asolare WITHOUT kids just because it is a very magical romantic place. The tables for 2 are against the balcony. We took our teenage kids with us everywhere except there and it was a good choice! Enjoy.

CaribbeanSoul Apr 22nd, 2005 06:29 PM

Make sure you check out the Lime Inn in Cruz Bay, as well. Excellent service and prices. We always pack a cooler of chicken breasts and tenderloins and cook most of our dinners at the villa....on our schedule....and killer views. I have yet to have a dinner out on St. John that rivals some of the dinners I have whipped up for our family in the villa. From homemade pizza to pan-seared tenderloins with cabernet sauce....and best of all....no parking or driving hassles! :)

christiegr Apr 22nd, 2005 07:27 PM

Caribbeansoul- The Lime Inn is on our list for Lobster.

MIM04 Apr 22nd, 2005 08:05 PM

Yes, Lime Inn for sure and make sure to go into Pink Papaya if you have anything you want to buy, its the cutest shop, right next door.

Also, Asolare - for sure a place without the kids! It is great and really romantic as a PP mentioned.

When we rent a villa sometimes we just buy stuff and make spaghetti or something really simple and cheap for dinner - the kids could always do that. Food is of course more expensive than the US, but not as much as some other islands.

Sounds like you will have a great time!