Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   cost of airfare!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/cost-of-airfare-183989/)

antoinette Mar 28th, 2002 11:57 AM

cost of airfare!!!

I'm attempting to book air to Aruba for this summer and cannot believe the costs! Coach seats from NYC to Aruba are in the $800+ range!!!! Has anyone heard about an airfare sale coming up in the not too distant future? Even Priceline tickets are more than $650! At this point I'm thinking about using my American Express Platinum and booking first class passage. They offer a buy one get the second ticket free on all first class international flights. Those tickets still cost $1700+ on Delta but at least I'll be getting two first class seats. Any suggestions? Thanks.

x Mar 28th, 2002 01:08 PM

I started watching airfare to St. Maarten in January, when it was about $500. I kept waiting for a sale that would do me some good (there were lots, but none from airport I could use), and ended up paying almost $900 to fly, and then it wasn't when I really wanted to go.<BR><BR>If you can travel weekdays(Tues Weds Thurs) you might be able to find something more affordable.<BR><BR>Looks like the airlines have figured out that those of who want to vacation in the Caribbean are willing to pay, so they make us pay..<BR><BR>Good luck.

tropigal Mar 28th, 2002 01:36 PM

i just tried a search on www.travelocity.com for travel June or July from Newark to Aruba, and got fares ranging from $498 to $742.

tivertonhouse Mar 29th, 2002 04:02 AM

One quite good source for discounts on Air Jamaica and American Airlines from States to Jamaica is cvoa.com, the Web site of the Caribbean Villa Owners Association. We've saved guests US$40-$500 a ticket this season and found <BR>Lydia Foster in particular at cvoa a whiz at finding tickets when none seem to be available during peak times. Tickets are available to many Caribbean destinations as long as one also rents a villa, beach cottage, estate or other property with a cvoa member.

Diane Mar 29th, 2002 11:06 AM

I started watching airfares fluctuate on expedia.com in january and was able to catch the price at $507 from boston to aruba. I left the computer on that website all day and from time to time I refreshed and got lucky. Good luck.

Bud Mar 29th, 2002 12:47 PM

Found some great prices on Orbitz.com

linda Mar 29th, 2002 01:16 PM

You might want to try vacationexpress.com for an air-only or an air/hotel package deal. They might not fly out of your city, but they are so cheap, you might be able to drive/fly to make connections. They fly charter planes and the times we used them, they were great.

antoinette Mar 30th, 2002 07:16 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. Fodorites are the best!!!!

Christine Mar 31st, 2002 04:36 PM

Not sure about what charters run from NYC - but - I have bought "air only" seats on charters out of Boston for under $450. IN Boston we have TNT Tours and GWV - both flying charters to Aruba. ALso check Airtran.<BR>TNT and GWV really mark down their fares at the last moment too. If you have a place to stay on short notice -----I have joined friends and family in Aruba for under $200 RT - booking 2 - 4 days before the flight. Try any charter flights out of NYC or NJ - you may get lucky!

Sandra Apr 2nd, 2002 06:05 AM

I just booked a trip last week to Aruba for May 17-23 at the Wyndham for $845 (price includes airfare and hotel). We're flying out of Hartford and have a connection in San Juan. We booked through American Express but I know that Liberty Travel and Largay Travel had similar prices. American Airlines was running a special on airfare you might want to check that out. I think it was through 3/31 but not positive.

Susan Apr 2nd, 2002 06:12 AM

Have you looked into a charter package such as travel charter or MLT vacations? They usually provide airfare and hotel for just a little more than that.<BR><BR>My husband and I live in Detroit and usually take Travel Charter and it costs us $1,200 per person including airfare, hotel transfers and 7 nights at the Marriott Resort.<BR><BR>Try a charter package. Often times, it is cheaper to travel through a travel agent. LOL<BR><BR>Susan

vicki Apr 4th, 2002 11:02 AM

Hope this helps but you mentioned American Express and if you have reward points w/ them you can purchase on tickets and use a reward w/ them to get your second ticket for $149. It uses 9,000 amex rewards points but is worth it and you would fly Continental which has some pretty good flights to Aruba that is how we purchase out tickets as timeshare owners there.

Martin Apr 4th, 2002 03:29 PM

You might try buying separate tickets - NY to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, then from there to Aruba. On just a quick search on Travelocity, tickets from Mia to Aruba were about $250, and tickets from NY to Miami less than $200. (All RT)<BR><BR>It's a pain to have to transfer your luggage, but we saved several hundred per ticket by doing this on a trip to the Bahamas. The way our schedule worked out, it was best to stay one night each way in Miami anyway, and even with the added hotel, food, etc, cost, we ended up saving $$.

ArubaLisa Apr 5th, 2002 05:35 PM

In NY metro area try US Air or Delta out of LaGuardia

Virginia Apr 7th, 2002 11:37 AM

I didn't know you could use the Platinum card for the free 1st class tix offer to the Carribean. I thought it only applied to overseas travel to Europe, UK, etc. Just now I'm considering getting a Platinum. We always look forward to the beginning of our vacation by flying 1st or business class. If you're tall it's really worth it. Good luck.