Coral World in St. Thomas

May 18th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Mayur Mehta

Coral World in St. Thomas

We will be visiting St. Thomas for a day. We are actively considering taking our family to Coral World. I would appreciate any feedback on Coral World. Is it worth visiting? or is it a tourist trap? Do you recommend any other activities around Coral World ?

Thanks,

May 18th, 2002, 01:13 PM
anon

I thought it was a tourist trap myself. If you had some kids with you they might enjoy it, but otherwise I thought it was a waste of time.

May 18th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Gail

YOu can visit Coral World and snorkel right off the beach at Coki.

May 19th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Brandi

I agree with Anon....it was a total tourist trap and definitely not worth the time or money. Skip it and hit the beach.

May 19th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Schultz

Hi There,

Whether or not you find Coral World to be worthwhile will depend a lot on what you are looking for.

The aquarium part is nothing fabulous if you are from a major city and have access to a good aquaraium at home. The underwater observatory is pretty interesting. Kind of gives you the sense of scuba diving or the Atlantis sub without having to do anything other than just walk around.

The nature trails are really nice...lots of wonderful foliage and tropical plantings and a good way to get some exercise while enjoying the surroundings. The petting pond is a favorite of the kids and (although some may not admit it) adults both, especially if you aren't from areas that have ready, 'touchable' access to starfish and sea cucumbers and the like.

Plus as was mentioned, you get use of a locker for your valuables while you go next door and spend time on Coki beach which offers some of the best snorkeling on the island. There is also a bar'/restaurant at Coral World.

As I said, it depends on what you are looking for. My kids absolutely loved their visit to Coral World a number of years ago. I still go about every other visit to STT.

Schultz

May 19th, 2002, 07:01 PM
J

I recall that when I went to St Thomas a few years ago that a much more worthwhile activity was to go to the beach right next to Coral World (I believe it's called Coki Beach) and snorkel there for the afternoon. Because of the Coral World attraction, there are hundreds of fish that swim in the waters around Coki beach. There were locals on the beach selling milk bone dog biscuits for $1 a piece that you could bring into the water, break littel pieces apart, and have the fish eating right out of your hand. A great experience and one that kids will enjoy. One of the best times I had when I was there. Also perfect for those underwater cameras - great shots of the fish. Much better time spent than going to Coral World. I highly recommend it.

I do recall that the locals informed us not to leave any valuables on the beach, but I suspect that is something to be mindful of anywhere in the caribbean.

Search this Thread