Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Coral Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/coral-bay-523371/)

sunshine_daydream Apr 22nd, 2005 01:38 PM

Coral Bay

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to St. John the first week of October. We are renting a villa but are not sure what location is best. We would like to rent near Coral Bay to escape some of the resort atmosphere and enjoy St. John's "as it used to be". I know that driving on St. John's roads can be an adventure of its own, but are the villas around Coral Bay too remote? We want to relax but also visit a "Mom & Pop" restaurant or a local pub after a day at the beach.

We found a villa in Calabash Boom at Coral Bay called Palladio's View that looks spectacular. Has anyone stayed in this villa or heard reviews? Suggestions of other villas are welcome.

Thanks in advance, seasoned travelers!!!

J62 Apr 22nd, 2005 03:01 PM

Since St. John is 2/3 National Park, it is still very much the way it used to be. It's a small island. You can go from Cruz Bay (west) to Coral Bay (east) in about 20.

So even if you're in Coral bay, chances are that you'll be going somewhere else on the island most every day, whether to explore, shop, dine or just to find a different beach you haven't been to yet.

There really is no problem driving on St. John's roads - you just need to slow down a little on sharp turns or when there are sudden dips.

tess53 Apr 22nd, 2005 06:05 PM

do not know villa Palladios View but do love Coral Bay/ no it's not remote but is more laid back than Cruz Bay area. i love both areas. thought i'd mention 2 other villas in Coral Bay i know of... Sea Spirit and La Bella Villa.. both very nice w/pools and stunning views..these are managed by Caribbean Villas Mngt. co. /we have rented with them for years, great company, many villas to choose from/all prices! St. John will be a memorable honeymoon check out site: www.caribbeanvilla.com

RobertoB Apr 22nd, 2005 06:17 PM

We spent two weeks on St. John on Calabash Boom near Palladio's View. I personally love that side of St. John. There is a decent selection of casual dining in the area from Skinny Legs, Shipwreck Landings, and Island Blues.

The views from that location will equal anyplace that you'll probably travel. Having said that, to get those views you need to travel a steep unpaved road.

Check USVI On-line. I'm sure there are reviews on that villa there.

CaribbeanSoul Apr 22nd, 2005 06:22 PM

Understand that "laid back" on St. John is a relative term. I consider Coral Bay to be desolate. There isn't much to Coral Bay except for a couple of restaurants (Skinny's and Shipwreck Landing) and Vie's roadside stand. I don't even think there is a grocery store....could be wrong. Cruz Bay is "laid back"....just more more developed with a variety of restaurants and shops. Proximity to Cruz Bay is very key when we choose a villa on St. John. Understand that Cruz Bay is very "laid back"....just not so desolate. And after a Woody's Happy Hour....you'll be very happy to be close to Cruz Bay! Not that I condone that sort of thing. :)

tpatricco Apr 22nd, 2005 06:47 PM

Caribbean Soul...Coral Bay is not desolate! Do not mislead the OP. It is quieter than Cruz Bay, but we too prefer that area of STJ. Have stayed in Concordia twice (a little further past Calabash Boom going toward Salt Pond Bay) and love it. There are several restaurants as RobertoB mentioned. Vie's is in East End...not near Coral Bay. And yes, Love City Grocery is there! Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Coral Bay area is great!

CaribbeanSoul Apr 22nd, 2005 09:53 PM

Sorry....but East End is near Coral Bay....very near. And I wasn't "knocking" Coral Bay....we love to get out there for an afternoon or two after a trip to Francis Bay beach. Much to see and do there and the views of the BVI are incomparable. However, there are very few choices of restaurants....I believe my post covered two of the three options. And yes....I do remember Love City Grocery now that you mentioned it. I believe it was closed when we found it in the attempt to fill our empty cooler with Heineken. I do not intend to "mislead" anyone....it is a very beautiful spot on STJ and Earth in general. I was only attempting to impress the term "laid back" is very relative depending on where you call home. Someone from Ames, IA may find Cruz Bay bustling and Coral Bay idyllic. Many others, from bigger cities may find Cruz Bay, idyllic, and Cruz Bay desolate. I think we all can agree Charlotte Amalie is on the congested side of the spectrum, hence our desire to jump on the closest ferry to St. John or the BVI. :)

RobertoB Apr 23rd, 2005 04:08 AM

sunshine_daydream

If you do a search of the archives on USVI On-line ( http://www.usvi-on-line.com/usviforum.html ) you'll find some recent posts on Palladio's View. Just search on Palladio's to keep the results meaningful. You could e-mail the posters directly. I've found that most people are more than willing to share theie experiences.