Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   confused about Harbour Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/confused-about-harbour-island-370989/)

poss Jun 2nd, 2008 07:35 AM

confused about Harbour Island

Are there resorts that are directly on the beach, i.e. where one does not have to ride a golf cart, haul chairs and umbrellas, etc? I've read that those carts are noisy ("like a lawn mower") and that doesn't sound like a pleasant atmosphere. We've never been to HI, and in many ways it sounds like a pleasant place. What I'm wondering is whether there are excellent place to stay right on the beach, with good snorkeling right out the door. Peace and quiet are high priorities for us, as is good snorkeling. I know where to find those things in the Virgin Island, but I'm wondering if those qualities exist on HI. (Can spend around $400 per night.)

Thanks for help.

BeachGirl247 Jun 2nd, 2008 08:24 AM

Yes, there are resorts on the sandy beach. Runaway Hill, Coral Sands Hotel & Resort & Pink Sands come to mind. Romora Bay Club is very nice but not on the pink sand beach. It does have access to the beach if I remember correctly.

The golf carts in no way hindered our pleasure on HI. Most are electric and some are gas. They are so much fun to drive around and if you don't mind walking you can visit without one. I recommend renting one so you can see everything on this small island. There was snorkeling out from the beach. It was ok but not Virgin Island standards.

We did not have to haul umbrellas at Runaway Hill or any of the others on the beach. They have big umbrellas with loungers that they will pull out in the morning.

You can have peace and quiet on Harbour Island. You can stay at your resort and never leave but I highly recommend getting out and exploring this friendly, beautiful island.

BeachGirl

poss Jun 2nd, 2008 09:07 AM

Thank you, beachgirl. Can you tell me from which of the hotels the snorkeling is best? Though we enjoy exploring islands, the thing we love most is just strolling out numerous times a day into the water in front of a resort/villa/whatever and snorkeling for hours. Since we're in our late 70's it's not so fun anymore to have to lug equipment any distance.

travelbuff Jun 2nd, 2008 11:31 AM

There really isn't much snorkling right in front of the resorts onisland, a better option would be to ask a water taxi to take you to an outer island for the day where the snorkling can be amazing.

There is a reef not far offshore and friends have snorkled out there and seen quite a bit, but it is a bit of a swim from shore.

For comfort and homey surroundings, I would suggest Runaway Hill as a good option for you. It is right on the beach, has a lovely deck/pool area and wonderful staff that will take great care of you.

The phone number for reservations is (242)333-2150. (Tell them Gail Tweedy recommended you call) I haven't been down since the resort was bought, and the new owner is a sports celeb. The entire house and all rooms were redone and it's quite lovely, a couple of friends have been there last season and said it is better than ever.

All the resorts have huts or umbrellas or shade and beach chairs for you.

From Runaway head up the beach to Coral Sands for lunch, the conch burger there is GREAT.

The website for more info is www.runawayhill.com.

There are several resorts on island that you also might look into.

www.rockhousebahamas.com
www.coralsands.com
www.islandoutpost.com (pink sands
and compas point on Nassau)
www.myharbourisland.com
www.briland.com
www.eleu.net

Also on the beach is Dunsmore Beach Club but can't remember the webaddress.

On the windward side of the island is Valentine's (which has been COMPLETELY redone) and Romora Bay (ditto).

Valentine's and Romora both have resident dive shops. Valentine's offers snorkle trips daily to some great sites. One spot just off Eleuthera is a Civil War TRAIN, yup I said train. Just after the war it was purchased by a weathly plantation owner in Cuba and was on a barge, which sunk in a hurricane. Makes for an amazing dive site.

The golf carts are not noisy at all most are electric, and there are few cars onisland. It's only 3 miles long by half a mile wide so you can really walk everywhere.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I think I know just about everyone on island.

travelbuff Jun 2nd, 2008 07:29 PM

Sorry, posted wrongly, Valentine's, The Landing, The Rock House and Romora Bay are on the LEEWARD side of the island.

poss Jun 3rd, 2008 04:41 AM

Many thanks for the good detailed response. HI truly does sound like a lovely place, but since our real priority is definitely snorkeling rather than just handsome beaches, I imagine we'll stay with the islands that have both. This means we'll miss the pleasure of places like HI and Aguilla (e.g.), but, happily, there are enough places in the Caribbean that do have the combination.
Runaway Hill, by the way, looks like a very pleasant place, indeed, and if one could snorkel right off that shore, I'd be hurrying to book.
Thanks again for the helpful replies.