Confused about getting from San Juan to Vieques

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Vieques Island next month and I am trying to finalize the last details of our trip. We are flying into San Juan Int'l airport. Our flight arrives at 2:15 in the afternoon. We need to then get to Vieques. Cape Air is the only airline that I can find any flight info on the internet about and they don't seem to have any flights after 12:30 pm that day. I know we could take a taxi to Fajardo and then the ferry but that really seems cumbersome. How do I get info on other airlines and make reservations? HELP!!! We leave in 4 weeks.
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM

We flew Vieques Air Link from San Juan (Isla Grande airport) to Vieques. We made reservations with VAL by phone, using the phone number off their web site.

http://www.viequesairlink.com/

Best of luck. Vieques it rough and wild and wonderful. We took our kids and loved it. Be sure to hit the Bio Bay (we used Island Adventures). Also saw your post about Bravos - we didn't stay there but check TripAdvisor...there are many write ups there on it.

Have fun!
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Have not been to Vieques but traveled to Culebra last year via Flamenco Air out of Isla Grande- did you check to see if they fly a Vieques route? They were very nice, professional and reliable.
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Vieques air link does have flights all afternoon. You can also taxi from sju to a small airport ($20) and fly from Isla Grande to VQS for about $45 per person one way. The flight schedules are posted in Vieques events which is downloadable from enchanted-isle.com website. That monthly publication is like the "bible" for the locals.
Cape Air also flies at 3 pm, 5:15 pm, and 6:50 pm, but may be changing due to high season being over...
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info!

mahobaygirl - I had been all over the enchanted-isle website but had not opened the events link. Thanks for that!

Our problem is that our flight arrives at 2:15 pm and most flights to Vieques are between 2:30 and 3:00. So I am concerned about making that connection. If we miss that one, we will have to wait until 5 or 5:30 for the next one.

I think I may have solved our problem. I found Air America on the Enchanted-isle site. Since there are 5 of us traveling together we can charter a small plane for about $10 per person more than the Cape Air flight and they will be there waiting for us when we arrive. I have emailed them a reservation but have not heard back from them yet.

Again thanks for all your info. This forum is such a help when it comes to working out the details of trip planning!
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM

cool I had not heard of Air America...and you are right, you would not have made the 3pm flight. You need to go out of the airport and back in through security!!
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Just a followup to say that I did hear back from Air America. Our actual cost ended up being just a little less per person than Cape Air and we were able to have our flight times fit our schedule. I am really excited about that. I'll post a trip report when we get back about how this charter is to Vieques.