Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   conditions in Cuba (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/conditions-in-cuba-226239/)

darlene May 29th, 2002 07:11 AM

conditions in Cuba

I am looking into taking a group of high school students on a tour of Cuba (arranged through an educational travel company) in March of 2003. B/c this is the first year the company has offered a trip to Cuba, I can't contact past travelers for advice. I'd just like some idea of the atmosphere toward Americans right now, and the conditions of hotels, etc. I know Castro is eager for tourists (economically), but how do the people feel about American tourists? Much crime in Havana? (I expect petty crime but little violent crime?). any general advice would be appreciated.

Dave Jun 3rd, 2002 08:54 AM

We were in Cuba in Feb, stayed at Parque Central Hotel, a big Western hotel in central Havana. It was excellent. Also at Los Jazmines Hotel in Pinar Del Rio. I can't comment about any other hotel.<BR><BR>Cubans love everything about Americans, especially your dollars. I don't think there is more crime in Havana than in any big American city. Generally, we felt safe, but you always have to be wary.

Chef Jason Girard Jun 4th, 2002 02:02 PM

Incredibly friendly (and shockingly poor) people. Actually, we found Cuba to be remarkably safe when compared with other Caribbean islands. As with any major city, be sure to stay alert for conmen and pickpockets in Habana. Travel in groups of three or four and be smart – the kids shouldn’t have any trouble unless they cause it themselves. In which case, your biggest problem will be with the local authorities… Have fun. It’s a beautiful country with the friendliest people on Earth!!! Stick with the larger hotels.

Phyllis Jun 9th, 2002 10:23 AM

Go. As an educator, I can think of no better experience for your students than to see communism at work. Havana is exciting with music and smiling people despite the need to carry and show i.d. to police and military constantly. In countryside you can visit compesino cooperatives growing tobacco and cane. We flew to Cancun from San Francisco in Feb.and then to Havana. American Air and then Havana.<BR>If kids are polite and open they will see and learn a lot. We gave away our toiletries and clothing as we went and all was happily recieved. Dollars of course but food and hotels are cheap. Unless you are Canadian you bring back no momentos. One car carving came back in the luggage.

Jackie Jun 9th, 2002 03:05 PM

Travelled extensively around Cuba a couple of years ago and had no trouble anywhere - a few children trying to con the tourists in isolated areas but this is few and far between. A wonderful country with friendly people and so much history. I would recommed getting out of Havanna and the all too touristy Valadero and seeing some of the real countryside, towns and villages