Compare Anguilla & Curacao

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping someone can give me some direction. I'm looking to travel in July with a small group of female friends, and everytime I think I have my mind made up, I read more and get distracted. How would you compare Aguilla, Curacao, & Barbados on their beaches, prices, food, and nightlife? thanx!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Have been to Curacao and Anguilla.
Both are arid, Curacao interior more interesting with "desert" type foliage. Anguilla has far superior beaches, can walk for miles. Lots of resorts on the beach. Curacao has cove type beaches with spectacular snorkling. Food is better and more expensive on Anguilla. (THink NY restaurant prices). People are nice both places. Drive on left in Anguilla, right in Curacao. Good roads both places.
Shopping better in Curacao but from Anguilla can take a short ferry over to St Martin to shop.
Curacao immune to Hurricanes so is a better fall destination.
Not much night life in Anguilla (few beach bars, i.e. Bankie Banx).
Getting there can be easy or hard depending on where you come from. Airport in Angilla does not handle jets (American Eagle type planes).
Curacao maybe more conducive to "exploring the island", Anguilla to laying on the beach in a lounger.
Topless seen on Curacao, not on Anguilla.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:16 AM

I can only compare Curacao and Barbados; been to Curacao lots of times, Barbados 3 times. Totally different islands; Curacao is dry, arid, Barbados is much more lush and green.
Many more upmarket 5 star hotels and good restaurants in Barbados, but more expensive too.
Curacao is more laid-back. No restaurants require jackets, let alone ties, while in Barbados men do wear jackets sometimes.
Curacao has some beautiful beaches with great snorkeling, but the best beaches are reached by car. The Marriott is probably the best hotel on Curacao (lots of info about that on this site).
Nightlife in Barbados is probably more sophisticated, with more nightclubs. Curacao has lots of happy-hour at the beach sort of places (Mambo Beach for example) that continue on into the evening.
Curacao seldom gets hurricanes, but Barbados is pretty good too; anyway, low risk in July.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Have been to both, and both have their pluses and minuses:
Climate: Curacao's climate is slightly better, less humid because it is so close to the equator.
People: We found the people in Anguilla much friendlier, felt slightly unsafe in Curacao (though nothing ever happened), and people were sometimes unfriendly.
Beaches: Anguilla's beaches are waaaaay more beautiful, there's nothing to compare!
Bottom line: we wouldn't go back to Curacao very soon although we might go back at some point in the future; we're going back to Anguilla this summer for the 3rd time in a row!
But of course it's your decision, and you may well hear very different opinions from other people.