Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Combine rental car & publicos in PR? Advice needed.

Nov 24th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Everything I read on Puerto Rico says renting a car is the way to go. In other places though we've enjoyed the freedom from worrying about traffic, directions, etc.by using public transportation. For a 2+ week trip around the island, could we start out to El Yunque/Fajardo by publico, get around on Vieques with rental bikes, and then rent a car in Fajardo or elsewhere for the rest of the trip? Are the publicos drivers as fast/reckless as the rest of the motoring public is described? Or, should we just rent a car for the full time? Advice appreciated.
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Rob

I am hesitant to reply since I havn't used a Publico in years and things may have changed. Following is how it was. The Publico is not a taxi per se. They don't pick you up at your hotel, for example, and drop you off at your destination. Their main function is to serve travelers going from town to town and they followed a prescribed route. They picked passengers up and dropped people off along the route. I don't know of any places in Isla Verde or the Condado where you could find a publico. They were, and still might be, found near the main square in OSJ. I know there is Publico service from San Juan to Fajardo. There would be service to the RainForest if a Publico follows a route that travels the road going through the Rain Forest. Frankly, I think your best bet would be to rent a car for the entire trip . Maybe the PRnative will see this post and provide more updated information.
Nov 25th, 2003, 06:58 AM

It'll be much easier to rent a car the whole time, leave it at the parking lot near the ferry, and rent bikes or scooters in Vieques. The ferry parking lot is safe, everybody leaves their car there. I've parked there for weekend trips to Vieques without problem. As Rob says, publicos follow a prescribed route. There are publicos that go to Fajardo, but as far as I know, they leave from the Rio Piedras plaza near the university (nowhere near the hotel zone). The publico to Fajardo will travel on the road that's next to the rain forest, but a publico won't detour to take you up into the mountain to the rain forest entrance.
Nov 26th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to both respondents...sounds like we should rent a car. It's good to know it's safe to leave the car at the ferry dock.
Nov 26th, 2003, 11:11 AM

We rented a car a few weeks ago drove to the rainforest and Fajardo.

No issues and provides a little more freedom to explore.

Most car companies in PR require the LDW insurance. I travel a lot for work and never get the extra insurance but did for this trip. We did not use it, but glad I had it once I rented the car.

Nov 29th, 2003, 05:46 AM

Don't depend on public transportation in Puerto Rico. I admit that it's not the best and it's quite unreliable.

Definetely rent a car. It will give you the convinience of traveling whenever and wherever you'd like.