Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Colorful Caribbean Coral?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/colorful-caribbean-coral-836227/)

ljv Apr 18th, 2010 08:05 AM

Colorful Caribbean Coral??

My family loves to snorkel, but recent experiences have been somewhat disappointing. While the marine life was varied and abundant, the coral was monochromatic. Saw the beginning of some new growth off Shoal Bay in Anguilla, Mexico was disappointing and Costa Rica is not really known for snorkelling.

So... this summer we would like to head back to the Caribbean. The Abaco Islands in the Bahamas look promising. Any ideas on other great snorkelling destinations. We have been to St. John's, but it's been a while.

Looking for varied ,abundant marine life, but especially want beautiful, colorful corals.

Thanks, everyone, for all your input!
Also, an island with other diversions beyond the water would be a plus.

SailBellaVita Apr 22nd, 2010 04:37 AM

ljv; I think the coral is best at St. John. It also has the most to offer in terms of non-snorkelling activities. A close second for me would be the general Grenadines area, particularily Tabogo Cays. I'd stay at Bequia and branch out from there. Finally, Bonaire is known to have great coral as compaired to the rest of the carib. Hope this helps.

virginia Apr 22nd, 2010 07:55 AM

the abacos are supposed to be about the best snorkeling in the bahamas. not sure you'd find much for 'other diversions' as the out islands are kinda quiet.
bequia is a long long way from tobago cays. closer islands include palm, union and mayreau. snorkel is said to be outstanding, but you must day trip there by boat or do live-aboard. you could combine some time on union/tobago cays with a stay on st. vincent or barbados to find alternate activities.
bonnaire is known as a good snorkel destination.
you might consider grand cayman or vieques but not much besides water activities on either - obviously much more on gc as it's more developed.
guadeloupe has some good snorkeling and has lots to see/do.
if your family loves corals maybe you should get scuba ceritfied. :)

ljv Apr 23rd, 2010 04:56 AM

Thanks for all the input. We've been to St John's and loved it. Last time there was about 10 years ago.

Virginia, my husband and older daughter are scuba certified. I and my younger daughter both have severe asthma and are very hesitant to scuba.

Any feedback on the BVI?

Thanks

StanKase Apr 23rd, 2010 01:05 PM

The B.V.I.'s have several good snorkel spots but you have to charter a sail or power boat at $500-$800/day to go to Norman, Cooper Islands and the Indians. VG unfortunalely has very little due to coral bleaching except for the Baths but that would not be a reason to stay on VG. St. john around caneel and watermelon Key (need a tour boat to take you there) are still quite good but not what they were 10 years ago. In the Bahamas the best snorkeling actually in on the reef off Andros Island. It is the 3rd largest Barrier Reef in the world after Australia and Belize.A rustic but nice place on Andros is Small Hope Lodge which caters to divers, snorkelers and bone fishing.

virginia Apr 23rd, 2010 06:01 PM

i must bow to stan. if he says andros is best then it i assume it is.

StanKase Apr 23rd, 2010 07:10 PM

IJv; I should add that there is nothing else to do on Andros Island except enjoy the beach and the watersports and socialize with the guests. It is really a hidden gem so the few resorts are never at capacity except in April and May.

ljv Apr 24th, 2010 05:10 AM

Thanks StanKase!

I did check out Andros originally, but ruled it out as having too little to do. My kids, especially the 21 y/o, love adventure. When we went to Costa Rica I practically needed another vacation to recover!

Have you ever been to Grenada? I understand you can go to the Tobago Cays and Carriocou from there.

Also, ever been to the Abacos...sounds like snorkeling is not bad there?

Thanks again,Lori