Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

College student traveling alone in August: CANCUN area or PUERTO RICO?

Apr 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

I will be using a free travel voucher during the first few weeks of August. My destination options are very limited, but I've narrowed it down to fly to Cancun or San Juan.

I'd preferably like to experience some local culture and not be engulfed by touristy resorts and the like. I'm on a student budget too, so I need to stay for under $75 or so a night (hostels/budget hotels?) I'd be happy just staying in a beach town for a few days; or exploring cities/historic sites. Nightlife is good too but not required, since I'll likely be traveling alone (unfortunately none of my friends want to pay the $500 airfare to leave a really hot place for another hot place).

Any suggestions about where to fly to would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Apr 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Hello, I would say for sure PR over Cancun. I would not feel safe alone in Cancun, unless maybe I spent a lot on a hotel and didnt go out alone. Plus there was just a travel warning about the limited police there now.
And PR has so much more to offer. I would suggest staying in Old San Juan. I would feel safe there alone. My Mom goes there alone all the time - stay at Hotel Milano - its $80 per night in low season and includes breakfast. Your room will not be huge, but its clean, the staff is nice and its in the middle of everthing, lots of restaurants and shops on that street. http://www.hotelmilanopr.com/

Old San Juan is fun - there is night life if you want it, but you dont have to do anything at all either. Lots of places to walk. You can take a taxi or bus to the beach too if you want to do that.

Have fun!
Apr 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Hi,
I would suggest cancun then to tulum, akumal etc. which is very safe. It is a good start point to go to different cultural areas. You could tour the jungle, ruins and if your a diver you could do a day trip to cozumel. Try priceline or skyauction for possibly the playa del carmen area, akumal etc.
Susan
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Hmm, so it's 1-1 so far. About getting from Cancun to Tulum/Akumal..what kind of transit connections link these places? I don't think I'll be able to rent a car, so I'll be relying mostly on some kind of intercity public transportation.
Apr 19th, 2005, 06:01 PM

FORGET CANCUN---there was a report in the news lately that the police are shaking down the tourists and saying they will arrest them if they are not paid off...

Go to Puerto Rico--SAFER!
Apr 19th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Andy is right - there is a state department travel warning about cancun talking about limited police there and cut backs. Its not as safe as it used to be. Plus its much harder to get around (safely)
Apr 20th, 2005, 05:04 AM

I liked Cancun when I went there and we didn't have any problems like those mentioned. That doesn't mean they don't happen. There is a warning for a reason. Especially being that you are traveling alone, I'd go to P.R. I only spent one day there with a cruise, but I loved Old San Juan. But do you want a beach hotel??
Apr 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM

I never suggested staying in cancun, I suggested taking a shuttle to playa del carman or akumal, generally safe areas with opportunity for exploration. It must be said that san juan is a city, having issues with crimes as well. You have to research your destination, especially when traveling alone.
Susan
Apr 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice. After 5+ nights of talking with Northwest Airlines and 93 minutes on the phone with them tonight, I have flights to San Juan!!

Any suggestions for budget hotels/restaurants/beaches/excursions around Puerto Rico would be appreciated.
Apr 26th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Great, have fun. I would still suggest Hotel Milano in Old San Juan

http://www.hotelmilanopr.com/

the rates are about as cheap as you are going to get for a decent place. About $80-90 per night. Plus you cannot beat the location. The bus transportation there is very good, you can take one to the art museum and beaches, pretty much anywhere. The only place I would suggest taking a taxi (tour) is to the rainforest - El Yunque, if you do that only because it is far... I really suggest staying in Old San Juan over Condado or other areas because there is so much to do/see within walking distance, the old fortes, many shops, resturants all within reach. Have fun!