CocoLaPalm or IdleAwhile?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning an anniversary trip the third week in May. Have it narrowed down to these two... Comments? Advice?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Also, what is the best way to get there? We live in Iowa but will most likely fly out of St Louis, Missouri. Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM

You might want to do a search on either one of these properties. This exact question has been discussed numerous times here I'm positive. But IMHO for an anniversary I'd choose Idle Awhile as it is much less family oriented and more intimate as well. They're both very nice properties and almost directly next to each other.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM

Idle Awhile definitely. We stayed there for a week in 2004, and it was of the BEST places we have ever stayed.

Super friendly staff and beautiful rooms. Great spot on the beach, nice beach chairs, centrally-located.

We ate dinner at Coco la Palm and were glad we had chosen IA.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM

I have to agree, the dinners were not very good at CocoLapalm, but there are plenty of places to eat. We only ate there our first and last nights, the first because my DH was sick with a nasty virus and it was convenient. The last night was because hurricane Emily was nearby and we got room service. At any rate, the Idle Awhile property looks great too! They are both located on one of the best parts of the beach. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Well... my handsome husband now says he wants to go all-inclusive. Not really my style but I suppose it's ok for the first time. Any advice on that?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Yeehaw! Got it booked today - CocoLaPalm in Negril for 7 nignts! Can't wait! Thanks for all the help, both in replies and all the info I gleaned through searching this sight...

Ah, gonna be a long 7 weeks - may be time enough to lose 20#, haha!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:56 AM

I hope you didn't do all inclusive at Coco LaPalm - not even sure you can. I would only do the breakfast plan there. The beach bar is fine for lunch but you will not want to eat there all the time. There are just too many better restaurants just a stroll away.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Not all inclusive. I think we get breakfast tho I am not sure. The choices of restaurants and things to do nearby is one reason we chose CocoLaPalm :C) I like the location.

We are definately beach bums! And enjoy variety. I was REALLY not wanting an AI, glad it worked out this way!

Got a great flight, charter. Leave St Louis Mo at about 7am and get in to Mobay at 10:30!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:21 PM

That's great Loribelle! We are big CocoLaPalm fans and love the location on the beach....the absolute best! If you need any restaurant recommendations as your trip draws near, please post! You'll love the staff at CLP and once you are there for a few days and are able to check out some of the other places....you'll be even more satisfied with your choice. You are in very good hands....enjoy, mon!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 04:50 AM

I would aprreciate any restaurant recommendations and also any must see/do things during our week stay at Coco. Also is there access to water sports at the hotel?
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 07:23 AM

Alan: There is access to water sports from the hotel. You can also negotiate with the myriad of non-hotel sponsored vendors, if you like. No worries on that front, mon. We have a few favorite restaurants including Norma's (at Seasplash) which is a 5-10 minute walk to the north on the beach. Country Peppa is another (at Country Country) also a walk north just before Norma's. We like the pizza at Chances and the jerk chicken from the stand across the street. Be on the lookout for the patty mon pushing his bike up the beach with a cardboard box full of patties and coco bread. Cheap eats! We also like Gino's Ristorante a 5 minute walk south on the beach. Enjoy your trip! I would love to hear about it upon your return. Weather looks good, mon!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 07:59 AM

Many thanks for this.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM

We liked Irie restaurant at Rondel for lunch - good snapper. Also liked The Boat Bar, Norma's and we liked the bar at Fun Holiday. One of my favorites is the Italian restaurant at Mariposa - great pasta, good glass of wine and toes in the sand. Our least favorite meals were the most expensive at Kuyaba and Charela.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM

daily drink specials at white sands (2 for 1)jerk chicken on beach at sunset beach bar (ask for white meat) both close to coco. all good advice from previous posts. remember prices are negotiable with beach vendors. look for shaun (or ask)on the beach he can help you with parasailing, sunset cruise on the wild thing or anything else you may want. if you drink red stripe or rum its a good idea to have your driver stop in lucia at the discount liqor store to stock up.it will save you alot,rooms have refrigerators. we just stayed there in april, our 5th time in jamaica, 1st time at a non inclusive and was by far the best trip we've had!!