Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Coco LaPalm, Idle Awhile, or Point Village??? HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/coco-lapalm-idle-awhile-or-point-village-help-333831/)

razfamily Jul 4th, 2003 06:18 PM

Coco LaPalm, Idle Awhile, or Point Village??? HELP!

Okay, so we've got it narrowed down to those three. Looking for something great for a family (we've got two kids both under two), activities nearby but also gorgeous surroundings so we can just chill out on the property. Good eats is critical as well as a comfortable pool and hospitable staff.

Have heard great things about all three of the locations listed above.I also like the idea of access to babysitters and cooks; we kinda like the small villa/cottage feel as opposed to more of a hotel-room.

Can you guys help me with this? Please! Much thanks.

LLKF Aug 23rd, 2004 02:49 PM

Please see my posting under RIU Negril, especially about the Coco LaPalm. What I witnessed at Coco LaPalm last Friday morning was not fit for adult viewing, much less for children. One local boy kept saying, "I didn't see anything. I didn't see anything." Obviously he has been well-schooled in the Jamaican culture. If you want your family to be safe and away from most of the crime, I suggest you pick an all-inclusive and enjoy. While there are no guarantees in life, this route reduces your chances of exposing your children to violent crime.

CaribbeanSoul Aug 23rd, 2004 05:03 PM

To answer your question without blaming hotels/resorts for altercations or interactions of others...Coco La Palm is where I'd recommend you staying. We just returned from our 3rd trip last month in the past 2 years. We brought along our 7 month old son and 8 year old step-daughter....and had an absolute blast for 16 days. My mother and father-inlaws came as well....and they, too, enjoyed their time at CLP. The grounds are unbelievably lush filled with hibiscus, mango and breadfruit trees....along with some Casuarina Pines. The staff is absolutely amazing! The Jr Suites surrounding the big pool are very spacious, complete with huge bathrooms with double headed showers and small refrigerators. Idle Awhile is very nice, as well....more upscale but not as kid friendly, in my opinion. We have thought about staying at Idle Awhile in the past, but my wife says she'd always look up the beach to CLP and wish we were there. The two properties are adjacent to each other.

liza Aug 24th, 2004 11:34 AM

Point Village is more isolated, you can't easily walk off the resort to eat out. The other two are on the main (public) beach with lots of eating options nearby.

They all have their fans :)

ReadytoGo17 Aug 30th, 2004 06:16 PM

I stayed at Idle Awhile. It was clean, great staff, nice beach, good 24 hour security, and great placement on the beach - sort of in the middle. I would recommend it without hestitation. Coco La Palm is right next door and I would try that if Idle Awhile was booked.