Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Coco La Palm vs RockHouse- HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/coco-la-palm-vs-rockhouse-help-454877/)

lmsiegel Jun 30th, 2004 11:32 AM

Coco La Palm vs RockHouse- HELP!

Hi
I'm about to plan a trip to negril for next month and I'm having a tough time with choose btw Rock House Hotel and Coco La Palm. Rock House looks like a 'nicer' hotel but I'm concerned about being too far from the beach. Can someone tell me if there are places like restuaurants and beaches in walking disctance and if not and if you have to take a cab how much the ends up running?

The reviews on Coco La Palm have been great but when I go on the website it looks kind of rundown. I'm not expecting the Ritz or anything, maybe there's something I'm missing, but it doesn't look that nice- the beach though is a major appeal.

If anyone has an suggestions for me that would be great. It's my first time to Jamaica and I want it to be a great one! Thanks!!

benj Jun 30th, 2004 11:57 AM

There was a recent post about Rockhouse at www.tropictravelonline. Another good site for 1st hand info is www.negril.com Many people are posting from Negril & there is also a chat area. You are sure to get good advice. They were very helpful for my trip in May. It was even better than they told me it would be!

beachedbliss Jun 30th, 2004 12:29 PM

Any reason you chose Coco La Plam as the hotel of choice for a beach location? If you are looking for something nicer on the beach which is more comparable with Rockhouse, why not look at Idle Awhile?

ltilson Jun 30th, 2004 02:46 PM

I go to Negril every year and usually stay on the Beach for a week and then go to the cliffs for a couple of nights. The Rockhouse is great and there are a few restaurants within walking distance, but you have to be careful because they repaved the cliff road and now everyone drives faster. Some of the beach restaurants will pick you up for free and then you can take a cab back ..I think it's around $5.00 to get to the beach. When you are on the cliffs, try 3 dives for jerk chicken and lobster...it looks like a dive, but the food is fabulous! LTU has great food too. CocoLapalm is a nice resort but a bit too busy for my tastes. Idle Awhile is right next door and that's where we always stay...you would love it. That part of the beach is fairly wide and the sea is calm...more wave action on the cliffs. No pool at Idle Awhile, but who needs a pool with the Caribbean right in front!!

lmsiegel Jun 30th, 2004 05:19 PM

Thank you for everyone's help. I chose coco la palm because ive heard everyone give good feedback on it and they have it as an option for all of the vacation packages i've been looking into. I think I'm going to try Rockhouse..I will let you all now how it went.

cartera45 Jun 30th, 2004 06:06 PM

I really liked Coco La Palm - I don't think it will be too busy next month. The main attraction is the location and the staff. They were all great. The grounds are quite nice - the pool was always very clean - the restaurant is mediocre but the beach bar had great snacks and drinks. The rooms around the main pool are quite nice - balconies overlooking the pool with lounge chairs, vaulted ceilings. If you get one of those rooms, I think you would be quite satisfied.

liza Jul 7th, 2004 10:32 AM

Rockhouse is not on the beach but it is certainly on the water....you can swim and float and snorkel just a few steps down from your villa or room.

The cliffs are quieter, more laid back, more private than the beach. There are restaurants on the cliff road and the beach road/beach, and bars too, so that's no problem.

Taxis should run you about $5 each way for 2 people if you are firm - everything is negotiable, just make sure you settle the price BEFORE you get in the taxi - exact change helps. Your hotel will probably want $10 or so for that trip so walk outside and hail a taxi with red plates to get the $5 if it's important.

Many beach restaurant/bars offer a shuttle at least one way (pick up) so you can save some $ that way. (In fact that's how we go to Rockhouse from the beach)