Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Coco La Palm Resort on 7-Mile beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/coco-la-palm-resort-on-7-mile-beach-338276/)

honeymooner14 Jul 17th, 2003 04:55 PM

Coco La Palm Resort on 7-Mile beach?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone had stayed at Coco La Palm Resort in Negril...I've read only good reviews online at tripadvisor and wheretostay, so I wondered what you all thought.
Also, with the new road, how long is the drive from the airport at MoBay to Negril?

cartera45 Jul 18th, 2003 10:12 AM

I stayed at Coco in April and can recommend it with one warning. I went with my daughter so we went for the cheap room because I knew we wouldn't spend much time there. I went a little too cheap and we got a room that I would not recommend to anyone. It is in the recently annexed Coco Inn and was near the road with a view of a chain link fence. Try to get one of the original Coco Lapalm rooms around the main pool. If you go for a junior suite, it should not be a problem. They moved us so not a big deal but just want others to know. Other than that, we loved it. Don't get AI - there are much better places to eat. We did have good snapper there though. Breakfast included would be okay - it is continental and it is pretty much the same thing every morning. Pool is nice but beach is so nice, no one was at the pool. Jacuzzi was usually empty too and this was in high season when the place was packed. Nice shade very near the beach - you can go out early, pick your spot and they will set chairs up and bring towels. Beach bar good - nice people - great Dirty Bananas and good lunch food. If you have more specific questions, email me a [email protected]. I can recommend some restaurants also.

andreaac Jul 18th, 2003 10:20 AM

I would suggest looking into Charela Inn. www.charela.com Very classy small resort.

liza Jul 18th, 2003 10:55 AM

Chareal and Coco are next door to each other so both have a great beach.

The ride from the airport to Negril is now about an hour, maybe a little more if traffic is bad in MoBay....very smooth highway now. You don't go through all the little towns you used to, I miss that, but it is much faster.

cindyrob Jul 22nd, 2003 10:03 AM

We stayed at Coco LaPalm for the first part of our honeymoon in June. We loved it. We had a regular room -- beach view. (I think they call it a superior room.) The beach is just beautiful. We spent a lot of time walking it. There is a pool and a hot tub at Coco -- both were nice. The garden area at Coco is beautiful too. There is a bar/grill and a restaurant there -- although we didn't try either. We preferred to just walk the beach and stop at someplace that looked good. Highly recommend Normas restaurant for lunch or dinner. We found the staff at Coco very helpful. When we wanted to go parasailing -- they were quick to "hook us up"!!

We had arranged with Coco to have someone pick us up at the airport. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was just under 2 hour drive. Patrick was our driver -- he was very nice and we felt very safe. (I've read stories on these boards where people say how awful they drive there -- we didn't find that to be the case.) Patrick even pointed out some of the sights as he drove. I think it cost $70 for the ride. I would recommend driving one way and flying the other. There is a tiny Negril airport that is about 5 mins from Coco. You can take a little jumper flight to MoBay. The views from the plane are fabulous!!

I agree with the above poster -- make sure you stay at Coco LaPalm and not Coco Inn. LaPalm is much nicer.

Hope that helps!! Let me know if you have any other questions!!

Cindy

soy Aug 1st, 2003 09:17 AM

Stayed at Coco LaPalm last November inthe "Honeymoon Suite" and it was great. Great little balcony and they delivered the breakfast to our room each morning. Great little hotel. I was torn between the Charlea Inn at first and went with Coca LaPalm because of the reasonable Honeymoon Suite Rate. Visited the Charlea Inn and it looks great also. Will be visiting Coca La Palm this Nov as well, that's how much I liked it!. You will not be disappointed.