Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Club Med Punta Cana or Club Med Ixtapa for Family? (Or other suggestions)

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of taking the family (kids 9 mos and 2.5 years) to a resort with Kid supervision options and have zeroed in on Club Med Punta Cana or Club Med Ixtapa, as most hotel programs don't start young enough for our babies. We have never been to either hotel or, in fact, either locale and are looking for some insight.

We want clean rooms, nice beach, good food and safe and nice family atmosphere and somewhere that we will feel comfotable leaving the kids in their care.

From research, it appears that the two resorts are similar though Punta Cana perhaps has a few more activities (snorkeling and diving).

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to which might be better and why?
(Or, if you have another suggestion, that'd be great too!)

Your help is much appreciated.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 03:27 AM

Just returned from Punta Cana yesterday. Was in Ixtapa May 2008. Ixtapa is far and away a better resort than Punta Cana. Beach is better at Punta Cana, but everything else is better at Ixtapa (and beach is not bad). My child and I got sick at Punta Cana, no, we did not drink the tap water, did not eat fruit, etc. Many cases of "travellers diarrhea" at Punta Cana (I saw the nurse's logbook); none I heard about at Ixtapa.

If you can book the family suites at Ixtapa, do it.

Lots of good diving and snorkeling at Punta Cana, though. I guess you would have to rank your priorities.

I would never return to Punta Cana, but would go to Ixtapa again in a heartbeat!

HTH

Lara
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM

You could also choose the FDR resort in Jamaica. It's not cheap, but they do have good children's supervision. You are assigned a nanny. Almond Resorts will also offer supervision for young kids and babies. I'm not sure about diaper-changing. They have resorts in both St. Lucia and Barbados. The beach at Almond Beach Village is pretty nice.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 04:27 PM

I was in Club Med Punta Cana Jan09 with two 10 yr.olds who had a wonderful time. Activities all day long- we seldom saw them except at the Fri. nite show which they loved being in. Counselors were good- many happy kids in tow. They have the trapeze school which is a big hit for all ages. My Grandson had a stomach bug for one day, but I (who usually always get sick) did not nor did the others in our party. Our room was fine, beach was great (althought too windy in Jan. for sailing) Pool was delightful and big enough that we never felt crowded. Loved the fresh fruit in the afternoon served poolside. Good food- plenty of choices for kids (mac 'n cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets) and adults (steak,lamb,lobster, pasta section, local fare....oh yes, and a chocolate fountain with fruit for dipping
We plan to return..... JKR2006
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Hello,
We are currently looking to book a trip to one of those same two hotels. Did you end up going to one? Just curious what your experience was. We have a 5 year old we'll be traveling with. The beach in Punta Cana sounds amazing but the reports of people getting sick because of the food is scaring me a little bit.
Thanks!