Reload this Page >

Feeling safe and treated well

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 11:40 AM
Traveler

I see so many posts here about "feeling safe" and being "treated well", and altho I don't want to start a flame war, I really need to speak my piece. <BR> <BR>I have traveled extensively in the Caribbean, alone, as a solo woman, as I have seen why so many cultures talk about "ugly Americans". We go into these countries and do nothing but complain about the service, the cabs, the dirty streets, the beggar kids, etc. We forget that many of these countries are essentially in the third world, and the ONLY places that the infrastructure resembles the US is in our 5-star resorts, where we hole up and worry about being safe. In a country where the average daily wage may be $5-10, we are surprised when everyone thinks we are rich, and wants a tip for a photo. We can't understand why the locals aren't thrilled to see us and our money. Our money is a double edged sword - they need it to survive, but they have to put up with our insults and our putdowns of their way of life to get it. I never realized how true this is until I went to Hawaii and realized how many signs there were in Japanese -- then I understood how even a US state has to cater to a foreign tourist market in any way it can to make ends meet. <BR> <BR>If you want to be treated well by the locals in the islands - treat them well first. Smile, be pleasant, say thank you, and don't expect them to run their country to please you. If you want to be safe, follow the same rules you would follow in any big city in the US - don't flaunt cash or expensive jewelry, don't set yourself up to be knocked down. If all Americans went south with an open mind, and really tried to see these countries for the beautiful cultures they are, we would all be better off. <BR> <BR>I don't mean to be negative - BUT - if you want a tropical vacation with a guarantee of US amenities and US service and US laws, etc -- stay in the US. <BR>

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 01:38 PM
Shane & Debbie

Thank you for the advice. We are <BR>thinking of Canada now, where we <BR>know we will be treated well and feel <BR>safe and still see beautiful scenery with friendly people <BR>

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 11:40 PM
Noah

You make some good points 'Traveler'. Too many tourists are obnoxious and disrespectful. <BR> <BR>I consider myself fortunate that my parents taught me to always respect different cultures and not look down at people. <BR> <BR>Something which has amazed me is how different people can have such completely opposite passionate views and feelings about the same places. For almost every Caribbean island, I have seen people rave about how wonderful and friendly the people were and others who say they had the opposite experience. <BR> <BR>I suspect that the attitude of the tourists can be a major reason for these discrepancies in many cases. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 03:59 AM
NthGen

What a sorry apology, at the heart of which is the sad argument that "the victim was asking for it." <BR> <BR>Sympathy is good. Being an Ugly American is bad. Common courtesy is good. Flaunting money is bad. (All in favor, say 'Aye'.) Nevertheless, it is equally true that poverty breeds crime, and excessive poverty breeds excessive crime. There is little social value in denying it or justifying it, and even less in blaming the victims, the overwhelming majority of whom are typically locals. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 11:13 AM
Noah

Let me make it clear that _I_ was in no way blaming victims of crime. <BR> <BR>I do not agree with the broad statement that 'poverty breeds crime'. There are countless wealthy people who engage in 'white-collar' crime which often hurts many people and many wealthy people have been committed violent crime as well. There are also many poor communities where the crime rate is low.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 11:17 AM
Noah

I also want to make it clear that I believe that people are perfectly entitled to expect good and courteous service and treatment. I was simply agreeing with the original poster that many tourists are not respectful and courteous.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 02:03 PM
Gwen

Thank you thank you thank you! At last someone has expressed this opinion! I seethe everytime I see a posting on this forum that includes "it's not like the so and so at home!" If you want things like they are at home then stay there! Everyone deserves to be treated nicely and with respect but NOT unless they act that way towards others. Don;t automatically expect because you are a tourist the locals should fall all over you, sometimes some cultures are shy and reserved and you must approach them first! We have travelled extensively and have always found the locals treat you exactly as you treat them. Please don't go to other countries expecting it to be "like in the US". That is why we travel.

Old Nov 23rd, 1999, 07:12 PM
jenny

Traveler, <BR>Hi. Would you please email me...I would like to know if you know of any travel agents that specialize in solo traveling. I have been paying for double occupancy rooms everywhere I go, and maybe you have some insight. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Jenny

Old Nov 23rd, 1999, 07:12 PM
jenny

Traveler, <BR>Hi. Would you please email me...I would like to know if you know of any travel agents that specialize in solo traveling. I have been paying for double occupancy rooms everywhere I go, and maybe you have some insight. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Jenny

Old Nov 23rd, 1999, 09:16 PM
Bill

Hey everyone -- thanks for the SOCIOLOGY report. Now BUZZ OFF!!!