Citronella Cottages in Negril

Jan 12th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Citronella Cottages in Negril

Hey There:

We are considering booking several of the cottages at Citronella in Negril for our upcoming trip to Jamaica and are wondering if anyone knows anything about them or actually stayed there.

Also, any suggestions about what to do or other places to stay in Negril would be greatly appreciated.

We stayed in Negril a couple of years ago and were sadly disappointed in where we stayed last time.

Any other info. anyone is willing to share would be terrific.

Thanks so much!

Cheers!

Jan 13th, 2007, 04:07 PM

We just returned from Negril and although I have been there many times, I'm not sure where on the cliff road those cottages are located. I wouldn't want to stay too close to town and would want to make sure they have security on the premises. We stayed at Tensing Pen, which is great, but more expensive. Next to Tensing Pen is Catch a Falling Star which has just been refurbished and looked nice. I think they have a special room rate going right now. We have stayed at Beachcomber, Mariposa and Idle Awhile on the beach...all very nice properties. Mariposa is less expensive and beach is not as wide, but I love it there. The 2 beachfront rooms, with tax in high season are around $160.00/night.

We took a boat trip w/ Rasta Mikey on his glass bottom boat which was fun and Famous Vincent picks you up from the cliffside properties in the morning for a snorkle trip.

Where did you stay during your last trip? Lori
Jan 13th, 2007, 05:07 PM

I haven't stayed at Citronella but know people who do, and they love it, though they caution that mosquitoes are an issue there and I guess the cottages aren't screened.

I like Catcha Falling Star a lot.

Where did you stay last time and what did you not like about it?
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lori:

Last time we were in Negril, we stayed at Footprints, but only for one night. We actually go to Silver Sands in Duncans. It is halfway between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. Last time we went to Jamiaca (two years ago) we went a day early becuase the the first time we went to Jamiaca, we got messed up with flights and ended up losing a day. Anyhoo, we liked Negril so much last time, we decided we would stay two days this time before going to Silver Sands. If you haven't ever heard of Silver Sands, you should definately look it up, it is FABULOUS! (although not for nitght life if that is what you are looking for).

Have you been to Mayfield Falls or YS falls? We haven't been yet, but are going to try to go this trip. We have decided that Dunns River, beautiful as it is, is just to touristy.

So, we are in Oregon, where are you?

Hope you are doing great!

Mitch Bohna and Kim Boone
Jan 14th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Liza, thanks so much for the reply. Glad to hear you have heard of Citronella and your friends had good things to say about it, outside of the mosquitos. We actually had an issue with Mosquito's last time we were in Negril and stayed at Footprints. Any words of wisdom from your friends who stayed at Citronella (i.e., did they say what cottage was good and/or better?) Our party is a group of 9, so we are guessing we will pretty much monopolize the property.

Thanks again for the reply.

Jan 14th, 2007, 08:47 PM

Hi, Mitch & Kim....No, we have never been anywhere in Jamaica but Negril but Silver Sands does look interesting, especially with a group. We are not big into nightlife so it would suit us just fine. I have never been to Mayfield or YS Falls (can't seem to get off that beach!!) but from what I understand, Mayfield is closer to Negril (about an hour's drive) and YS is about a 2 hour drive south of Negril. You might want to try Mayfield if you are only in Negril for 2 days.

I would be leery about staying anywhere without screens unless there was mosquito netting on the beds, but I am a pampered pooch and not really into roughing it anymore. I was bothered by bites for the first time this year in Negril because it was much warmer than usual with more rain.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Have a great time....I wish I had waited to take my trip now that the weather in Ohio has taken a big turn for the worse....Lori
Jan 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM

Hi Bendhopper,
I'm new to this site & saw ur post.
I've stayed @Citronella many times & I LOVE IT!!

Here's some info on the houses.
All houses are open air, no screens on the windows but there is netting over all beds in every house.
Not that big of a mosquito problem, w/caves u have bats & they more than get em (@night). In the day just break out the fan to blow them away.
But here's a tip. get oranges when u get there, after eating 4-6 keep the rinds, boil them like tea, strain it, put in spray bottle -great bug repellent always works for me.

Round house- one of mine fav's
full kitchen,
good for a couple little more private,
nice patio (not shaded),
own water entrance (best one on property & u do share), is beind Rexys so expect to hear Rexy singing some karaoke all thur the night -he's great go hang w/him & his family.
Nice quite hammock area on the side of the house too.

Cave house- 2nd fav
only no kitchen & u can not use a hot plate in there.
does have coffe pot & small frig.
If u take over the property too, just share the kitchens as we do.
The patio is great, big & wonderfully shaded most of the day big big plus.
From the pics on their new website, looks like Barney finished replacing the water entrance from hurricane damage- YEAH!!
Watch out for the spray hole behind the house, cant miss it, its pretty neat.

Big (cove, I think) house-
Best patio on the property & if u take over the property, its where everyone will congregate.
full kitchen
good for families or multi couples, 3 bedrms.

Duplex-
it what it is. coffe pot & small frig

A frame- havent stayed in this one but friends have when there & its very nice.
very private, full kitchen

The path ways to &from the houses is just beautiful!!

If you want them to cook for you in the restaurant, just let them know early in the day or the day before.
If u want to cook ur own seafood, just sit outside early in the morning & call over a fisherman see what they caught. cant get any fresher than that

There is always someone there for security, fully gated & locked plus they have 2 dogs which are very friendly & protective of who's staying on the property. & they will come around & ck on u too
I always take them treats..

**best snorkling is to the left by the round house.
We've had Vincent take us other places but NOTHING matches to what u'll have right there!!

I cant think of anything else other than to tip everyone on the property that takes care of you.
Hope this helps & enjoy!!
Catherine
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM

I was thinking of booking this place for March. Is it still close enough to walk to other places on the cliffs? I've stayed at Catcha Falling Star and thought the location was excellent.