Reload this Page >

Cinnamon Bay or Maho Bay- St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Lori

My family (2 adults, 2 kids; 12,9)is planning to take a vacation in St. John next winter. We enjoy camping, hiking, swimming and snorkeling, and are looking at Cinnamon Bay and Maho Bay tent-cottages. Which one would you recommend? Thanks.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 04:59 PM
Lorraine

Although Cinnamon Bay is one of the most popular beaches, we liked it the least. Don't get me wrong, they are all beautiful, but we weren't that impressed with Cinnamon Bay.

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 04:29 AM
jim

Lori, Cinnamon offers two types of lodging -- tents and cottages. The tents look like old army tents and are nestled in the trees about 100-150 yards from the beach. The look to me as though they'd be pretty hot during the afternoon, even in the winter. The trees will block most of the wind. The cottages are covered cinder-block rooms, and are a step up from the tents. They are closer to the beach. Cinnamon Bay is nice, but can get a bit crowded when Cruise ships are in port in St. Thomas (typical stops for the cruisers are either Cinnamon or Trunk Bay). <BR> <BR>Maho Bay is a step up, I believe, and offers more ecologically sensitive lodging (showers are solar heated, for example). I like the beach at Maho as it is a bit more private. <BR> <BR>You should also consider Concordia eco-tents. They are newer and on a more remote part of the island. Farther from the beach, the views are outstanding. Look at www.maho.org for more information. <BR> <BR>By the way, regardless of where you stay, a jeep is a must. Yes, there are taxis and there is a bus service, but if you want to go whereever you want whenever you want, you will need your own transportation. <BR> <BR>For snorkeling, my favorites are Waterlemon Cay and Salt Pond (Salt Pond is located near Concordia). <BR> <BR>- Jim

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 10:26 AM
larry

We did not stay at either, but looked at both. Maho looked great. Its built onto a mountain side overlooking a fantastic beach. The units are somewhat spread out and connected by a boardwalk that goes on and on and on and up and down the mountain. Sort of like a Swiss Family Robinson set up!! At Cinnamon, the tent and block units are between the beach and the public parking area, although off to the side. At Maho, the only people that will be there are those staying at Maho. Maho is also very close to the best snorkeling at Waterlemon (you need to walk about 1/3 mile from parking then swim about 200/300 yards to get to the island--if the kids are up to this--it is THE BEST snorkeling, we had best luck around the left side). <BR> The only drawback to Maho is it further from Cruz Bay, if you plan to go into town for dinner more than once. We did not see Concordia, only passed it. It is further from town (about 45 minutes on a road I would not want to drive in the dark). At Maho, you would be about 20 minutes from town, but right on or near several great beaches. Maho has a restaurant of its own. We saw a food store at Cinnamon Bay. Hope this helps

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 06:57 PM
Greg

I've camped twice at Cinnamon Bay and loved it. I traveled during the shoulder season (early May & early December) and found eihter the perfect time to go. Much less crowded. I brought my own tent so it was only like $15 a night. I'd do that over renting the cottages although getting the better tent sites is a little tricky. I'd try for a beach front location or the hillside spots(these are more private) But you really don't know where you'll be until you get there. I ate at the restaurant there(adequate) and with the money I saved ate at some great restaurants on the island(Asolare was my favorite) The snorkeling at Cinnamon is great! but Waterlemon was the best. I thought the beach at Cinnamon was better than the one at Maho and your tent sites are just steps from the water. At Maho it looked like you're a little bit more removed. I found Maho a little too preppy for my taste although their food was better. Everybody I met at Cinnamon was very friendly. There are trade-offs at both locations but in the end Cinnamon suited my style more. Good luck!

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 06:24 PM
mary

we have to agree with jim. our favorite place is maho bay. like campimg out when you were a kid. if you choose maho the sections higher up are breezier and cooler-which is good! there are alot of steps-thnk swiss family robinson! there is regular timed bus service into town. <BR>we can't stay away for more than 3 years. there are planned activites if you choose or you can just veg out on the beach! anyway, i am prejudiced, but, there you have it. whichever one you choose you will have alot of fun.