Calm sandy beach other than 7-mile?

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calm sandy beach other than 7-mile?

I'm looking for some information/insight on other areas of Grand Cayman that might be good for a family vacation with two pre-teens. I'd rather stay away from the crowd and congestion of 7-mile beach, but want a sandy, calm beach. Had looked at the northern shore - rum point, Cayman Kai, but it seems like the water can be rough there sometimes. I want the kids to be able to snorkel off the shore. Want a beachfront condo with a kitchen. Going in late May/early June. Any other suggestions for a beach other than 7-mile?
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 06:19 PM

The area in front of Rum Point is very calm, like bath water. But the other area's in Cayman Kai can be rougher. All areas of the island are weather dependent. We were at the Reef Resort for two weeks in January and the weather was perfect. We snorkeled out front almost every day. However, other years there were a couple of windy days. I suggest that you look into the Reef Resort, my daughter is 12 and loves it! The beach is huge with soft white sand, there are several beachside pools (one with a volleyball net), tennis courts, and lots of water toys next door that you can rent. (jet skis, etc)

We love the East End and the Reef Resort, but nothing (including other islands we've been to) can top the pristine areas of 7MB, but there are trade offs.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:35 AM
EJC

I must agree w/ luvtotravl. The Reef is probably what you're looking 4; but give me 7MB anytime. Your pre-teens may get a little bored in the East End.
I'm 57 years old and I was making daily trips to get to 7MB to cure my boredom.
You mention congestion. I don't think you'll have that problem in late May/early June........
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Cayman in general can be (but isn't always) a bit breezy in the winter months, but by late March through about mid November the weather (and water conditions) are generally calm wherever you go.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Just a thought-Plantana. Nice condos on 7MB BUT far enough away from the hotels that it won't be crowded. Rum Point is great for a day trip but is a bit far from most of the resturants, Georgetown, harbor, etc. Plantana has a pool as well and your kids may find some other kids tohang out with.