Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Christmas or Thanksgiving travel - where to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/christmas-or-thanksgiving-travel-where-to-go-166071/)

tracy Mar 1st, 2002 02:59 PM

Christmas or Thanksgiving travel - where to go?

Hello-<BR>I am writing this question regarding Caribbean travel as a novice, so forgive my ignorance please:)<BR>My husband and I (in our early 30s) are thinking about planning a 5 day trip over one of these 2 holidays. I realize that this is probably an expensive time to travel to a "tropical" location, but I thought I would look into it just in case.<BR>When we travel, we normally like to go to places with a lot to do (as opposed to just relaxing), so I am not sure if the Caribbean would be the right choice. Can anyone suggest places to go that would offer lots of sights to see, as well as beautiful landscape? <BR>Are there any other good websites that have information about different destinations in the Caribbean and what they have to offer.<BR>Also, can anyone offer their experiences with prices at these times (traveling from the East Coast of the US)?<BR>Thank you in advance for any advice.<BR>Sincerely-<BR>Tracy

Jake Mar 1st, 2002 11:35 PM

Try Puerto Rico, St Martin/St Maarten, or St Thomas if you like shopping, sightseeing, dining, etc.

Gail Mar 2nd, 2002 06:08 AM

I agree with Puerto Rico. There is a lot of history there and the rain forest and great beaches. I've been there several times during X-mas. It REALLY is a lot more expensive to travel at that time. I only do it because I work for a school district and don't get a choice of vacation times. If you can go at another time, your flights and lodging will be less expensive.

Dana Mar 2nd, 2002 10:45 AM

Tracy, Puerto Rico is what you are looking for. Great museums, galleries, rain forest, beaches, shopping, dining, & nightlife. That should keep you busy. Have a great time.

tracy Mar 2nd, 2002 11:47 AM

Thank you for the replies. We are also teachers, so our travel dates are limited to the high seasons (I can't complain though, because we do gets lots of time off). I have been to PR once several years ago with a friend who has family there. We mainly just stayed in San Juan. I know that there are lush tropical areas in PR, but I didn't get to see any.<BR>Does anyone have a recommendation for an area/resort/hotel? <BR>Thanks again!<BR>Tracy

Gail Mar 2nd, 2002 04:30 PM

We have stayed in the Isla Verde area and in the Loquillo area. Isla Verde is convenient to the airport and reastaurants and Old San Juan. There are great beaches there also. Loquillo was much quieter and has great beaches also. It is further from Old San Juan and closer to the rain forest. We rented cars whenever we were there and explored the island. Drove up in the mountains and to Ponce and Parguerra. It's really a wonderful island.