Choosing island get away for 40th

Mar 8th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Choosing island get away for 40th

Greetings,

We are looking for help (4 of us, two couples) choosing an island. Hoping for quintessential caribbean, white sand, sparkling blue. And hoping for smaller more intimate accomodations, not huge hotel, quick easy access to beach, close to good bar and water activities. Mostly looking forward to reading, relaxing, splashing about. May be the only time for a long time the four of us get away without our 6 kids(combined total). Any advice on island and accomodations would be great. Have had others mention Bequia, St. Lucia, St. Johns. In need of help! Thanks!!
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM

For friends just looking for a beautiful, relaxing place without crowds where you can enjoy water activities and a laid back time, have you considered somewhere like Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos? Although not technically the Caribbean, you can be there in an hour from Florida. You rent a golf cart to get around the island- although it is very small, it gives you access to bars, restaurants, stores, etc. You can also rent boats there which is great fun for sightseeing, island hopping, snorkeling, fishing, etc. There are some nice houses that would be good for 2 couples- if the idea is interesting then google houses such as Bita Bay House, Bennett House, Tranquility or others. It is really nice to have a house and be able to make your own coffee or cocktails sometimes or even pack a picnic for a boat adventure. I have been to the Abacos many times with friends and it is hard to beat for the "reading, splashing, relaxing" you are looking for. There are two small resorts (Bluff House and Green Turtle Club) but I would rather eat there and have a private home- take a look at some websites. Elbow Cay and Guana Cay in the Abacos are also good choices for what you say you want.
Mar 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM

I would definitely suggest Turks and Caicos which is only an hour flight from Miami. You'll find a dramatically beautiful beach at Grace Bay and the turquoise color of the water is simply haunting. All of the resorts are 'boutique' size - most under 4 stories and the atmosphere is relaxed, safe, and uncrowded. (Well, except for Beaches that gets bigger and more crowded every year). There are very nice resorts available at all price points and most are condo style. You might consider sharing a 2 or 3 bedroom unit where you'll have a large livingroom for relaxing, balcony for reading and a fully equipped kitchen for snacking.

I agree that the Abaco Islands are very nice - they cater to a boating population in general and are very laid back. When I'm in the Abaco's I live in my bathing suit for the week. When I'm in T&C I find more opportunity to put on a nice outfit and enjoy great restaurants.
Hope that helps.

Mar 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Having just been in the Grenadines last month, I think Bequia may be perfect for what you are looking for. Palm trees sway in the breeze at sunset and the beaches are incredible. We had a week to explore this more remote paradise area of the Caribbean and found it to be very special.
Mar 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Might I suggest Anguilla? It's definately got the white sand and blue water. For us, there isn't a more relaxing getaway. I think you would be amazed at how beautiful it is there. I would suggest somewhere like Cuisinart. It has less than 100 rooms and is very intimate.
Mar 10th, 2008, 05:01 PM

Another vote for Turks & Caicos. The sand and blue water there are more beautiful there than any other tropical location I've been to, including St. Lucia. The T & C island of Provo is perfect for relaxing in the sun and cooling off in the ocean. It's also a great place to snorkel and go sailing. There are a lot of great restaurants too.

Both times we've been to Provo, we've stayed at Villa Renissance and really like it. It's a four story condo complex.

In St. Lucia we stayed at the Wyndham Morgan Bay and were pleased with it. We thought the restaurants on the property could offer more variety, but we loved the accomodations, location and property.
Mar 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Cayman Islands is very nice and relaxing. The marriott is where we stayed and it was not overly large like some of their resorts, but it had enough amenities (beach drink service, restaurants,etc..)
Mar 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM

another place to consider... Villa Rolandi on Isla Mujeres (island off of Cancun in Mexico) You fly into Cancun and then the resort has their own private yatch-they pick you up on the mainland (Cancun) and take you to their resort's pier on Isla Mujeres (20 min wonderful boat ride) You are greeted at the pier with a mimosa and cold towel. The service is top-notch and the resort is a small luxury resort-all suite, all overlooking the turquoise water! very peaceful place-no parties-nice smaller private type beach and the food is awesome! The island is quaint and fun if you EVER feel like leaving the resort! Freshest seafood ever - and awesome mojitos! The service by the pools and on the beach is awesome! you'll be on a first name basis right away! there are LOTS of reviews on this place on www.tripadvisor.com - even a review from my trip last fall, plus lots of guest's actual photos - but the actual resort website is www.villarolandi.com - oh, breakfast delivered to your room and a VERY nice dinner is included! great luxurious value!
Mar 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM

I really liked Isla Mujeres and, although we did not stay at Rolandi I think it looks very, very nice and is a bargain compared with other Caribbean inns for the same amenities. What I wonder is how you define "water sports"? I suggested the Abacos because of the availability of boat rentals and being able to truly spend time on the water with one's own agenda. We had a great time in Isla but the snorkeling was crowded and pretty disappointing compared to other places. If you are strictly looking for the beach and swimming then this would be a great choice for the money. Do you know what kind of water activities you want?
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:49 AM

If you are looking for a really beautiful Island try St. John. I stayed at the Westin, St. John and it was just perfect. The hotel is beautiful. When you arrive by boat from St. Thomas (they don't have an airport) you are greeted with a cocktail. Your luggage is transported to your room and you have the next couple of days to relax. The beach is right there with a bar and restaurant at your fingertips. In town the people are really freindly and they have great restaurants. Good luck!!
Mar 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM

While I love St. John, I don't think I would call the Westin "a small, intimate accommodation". There are LOTS of rental villas and condominium type lodgings that would be well suited for two couples.
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:19 AM

Hi, we stayed at Caneel Bay on St. JOhn for my 40th & it was perfect! 7 perfect beaches without leaving the resort. Very adult resort. Short drive to town to many good restaurants. Fun to rent a jeep & explore the beautiful island.

Search this Thread