Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Children at Bucuti (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/children-at-bucuti-387797/)

dwalker Jan 15th, 2004 02:58 PM

Children at Bucuti

I have read alot of reviews of Bucuti and that they cater to couples. Has anyone ever taken a child?

I have a 12 year son who is used to accompanying me and being the sole child since none of my family or friends have children.

Bucuti seems perfect for what I'm looking for - peace and quiet on a great beach with the option for doing activities if I so choose. My son would swim all day if given the choice.

I do not want to stay at a loud noisy hotel with alot of kids running around. My concern with Bucuti is that my son and I would be treated cooly, and we would feel out of place.

Any suggestions if Bucuti would be appropriate or if there is another hotel with the same atomosphere and quality beach?

Thanks!

Carola22 Jan 15th, 2004 11:03 PM

We have been to Bucuti many times - children are NOT encouraged at the Bucuti! This is also their official policy as stated on their website. For people with children looking for lots of activity, there are many other hotels on Aruba that are more suitable.
However, we were there last winter and there was a family with children staying there; but these children were so quiet that we never heard them. Hope this helps - if your son is quiet you shouldn't have any problems.

cdt Jan 16th, 2004 04:35 AM

My wife and I stayed next door at the Manchebo a few years ago with our son, who was then 14 (an only child).

There were virtually no other kids at the Manchebo, so he had to socialize with mom and dad all week (horrors!).

Almost every day we walked up the beach to La Cabana and back. It was teeming with kids of all ages. Our son wished he were staying there; we were glad we weren't.

A compromise might be one of the "high rise" hotels such as the Holiday Inn (cheaper) or Hyatt or Marriott (pricier). Partly because these are large resorts, there would probably be a fair number of youngsters around without being overrun by them.

A lot of kids appreciate big fancy swimming pools, which you won't find at the Bucuti, Manchebo, or Holiday Inn.

I recommend taking your son to the "Bon Bini" festival in Orangestad (one night a week - maybe Tuesday?). A little hokey for adults, but one of the few after-dark activities that doesn't involve booze and/or gambling.

If he enjoys snorkeling, there are several sail/snorkel trips, and we found good snorkeling from shore at Baby Beach. Horseback riding, ATV-riding, and 4WD trips are among the other possibilities.

Also keep in mind that there is much more female topless-ness in the Bucuti/Manchebo area than the high-rise area. Our son managed to cope with it.

Maureen Jan 16th, 2004 09:45 AM

Usually there are many europeans staying at the Bucuti and you will probably see some topless women on the beach if that is a problem. Your son will probably not really have fun at this resort because he may be the only child there!
The Renaissance Hotel downtown offers a boat to take you over to their private island. When we stayed there it was the Sonesta Hotel and we found the island to be very quiet with mostly adults but some children. You might check out their website--there is a watersports center on the island, place to eat and other facilities. Planes do land nearby but not all day and I didnot even notice the noise after awhile.

Maureen Jan 16th, 2004 10:07 AM

You can check out the Renaissance Hotel at "Arubatourism.com" (Aruba On-Line). Go to Hotels and Resorts section--after opens up click on High Rise Hotels and then scroll down to the Renaissance and click on "Details" for info and access to website. Guests comments at Where2Stay and Trip Advisor as well as Fodors.